Walking effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sitosea

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

I'm making a real effort to control my BS levels and am managing to keep in the mid-6's to 7's two hours after meals. I go for a brisk but brief walk every afternoon and soon after my level is in the low 4's. Is this what should happen? I am using Metformin and Gliclazide for T2. Also are oatcakes a sensible substitute for bread?

Yes i am usually mainly 6-7mmol and up to 8 or 9mmol max post meal. After my 4 mile walk today i was 4.7. Exercise is the only time i go that low. I often go after a meal and dont get a rise in BG that way.

Just watch for hypos as I believe Gliclazide can cause them. If it was me, I’d carry some Dextro just as a precaution. You might never need it but it’s sensible to take some with you.

Just watch for hypos as I believe Gliclazide can cause them. If it was me, I’d carry some Dextro just as a precaution. You might never need it but it’s sensible to take some with you.
Thanks for your tip. I usually carry some chocolate. Luckily I have never experienced a hypo after many years of living with T2,

Thanks for your tip. I usually carry some chocolate. Luckily I have never experienced a hypo after many years of living with T2,

Long may it stay that way 🙂 Chocolate is a great top-up but Dextro or jelly babies work faster. All depends how big your pockets are!

Walking is my favourite form of exercise. It’s a great thing to do and I find it keeps my insulin sensitivity good (I’m Type 1).

Long may it stay that way 🙂 Chocolate is a great top-up but Dextro or jelly babies work faster. All depends how big your pockets are!

Walking is my favourite form of exercise. It’s a great thing to do and I find it keeps my insulin sensitivity good (I’m Type 1).
Jelly babies it is then. Plenty of room for them!

Jelly babies it is then. Plenty of room for them!
The problem with chocolate is all the fat (which slows digestion), so even something like a Mars bar (with syrup in the middle) isn't all that good. Jelly babies are a nice size too: each one's about 5g so 3 gives the recommended 15g.

Depends the carb value of the oatcake as to whether it's a good substitute - I wouldn't have thought a Staffordshire oatcake would be less carbs than a normal slice of bread myself, but never saw any in a packet with nutritional info when I worked in Newcastle u L .

Depends the carb value of the oatcake as to whether it's a good substitute - I wouldn't have thought a Staffordshire oatcake would be less carbs than a normal slice of bread myself, but never saw any in a packet with nutritional info when I worked in Newcastle u L .
The only information on the box is 55g carbs per 100g oatcake which I assume is high and confirms your suspicion. Looks like my wife will have to eat the ones I bought.

Well I won't be eating them - I was really looking forward to trying one - but sadly found them utterly revolting. It turns out that I simply greatly dislike the taste of oats! - I didn't know that until my husband decided to have some Ready Brek, which I'd never tasted before but did so even though the smell was bad enough - Oh yuk.

One large slice of bread is anything between 15g and 20g - so shedloads less than an oatcake.

Well I won't be eating them - I was really looking forward to trying one - but sadly found them utterly revolting. It turns out that I simply greatly dislike the taste of oats! - I didn't know that until my husband decided to have some Ready Brek, which I'd never tasted before but did so even though the smell was bad enough - Oh yuk.

One large slice of bread is anything between 15g and 20g - so shedloads less than an oatcake.
Ready Brek. Oh no way! Have to be the occasional slice of bread. Which variety do you use?

The only information on the box is 55g carbs per 100g oatcake which I assume is high and confirms your suspicion. Looks like my wife will have to eat the ones I bought.

That sounds like Nairn oatcakes to me @Sitosea They work out as 4 or 5g per oatcake depending on variety. I eat them a lot and like them.

I don't think Sitosea was saying each oatcake contains 55g of carbs - just 55% of it is carb and each oatcake weighs less than 10g.
I find Ready Brek tastes (and smells) very different to oatcakes. And you can add a lump of nice strong cheddar (or stilton if you are so inclined) to an oatcake but I don't think it would stir into a bowl of Ready Brek too easily. So don't discount oatcakes based on a bowl of saw dust.

I don't think Sitosea was saying each oatcake contains 55g of carbs - just 55% of it is carb and each oatcake weighs less than 10g.
I find Ready Brek tastes (and smells) very different to oatcakes. And you can add a lump of nice strong cheddar (or stilton if you are so inclined) to an oatcake but I don't think it would stir into a bowl of Ready Brek too easily. So don't discount oatcakes based on a bowl of saw dust.
Staffordshire Oatcakes which were mentioned are like huge pancakes made with oatmeal, flour and yeast so I can imagine them being pretty high carb.
The varieties of Nairn oatcakes are all pretty good, we had some ginger ones which were really nice.

Staffordshire oatcakes we buy are around 25g carbs each, delicious with bacon & cheese filling.

I seem to have started a useful conversation on oatcakes, which is good. I've got Clearspring Organic Scottish Oatcakes but don't know whether to use them or not, after all I've read. After being advised to carry jelly babies on walks (good advice) I found Jellyatrics (see pic). This seems more appropriate for me.IMG_20220105_191651.jpg

I seem to have started a useful conversation on oatcakes, which is good. I've got Clearspring Organic Scottish Oatcakes but don't know whether to use them or not, after all I've read. After being advised to carry jelly babies on walks (good advice) I found Jellyatrics (see pic). This seems more appropriate for me.View attachment 19669
The oatcakes look pretty similar to Nairn ones which are about 4.5g carb per oatcake, so as long as that fits in with what you allow yourself then no reason not to have them, they would go well with a nice slice of cheese.

The Jellyatrics seem to get bad reviews on Amazon. Do you know how many carbs they are each so you don't overdo it.

The oatcakes look pretty similar to Nairn ones which are about 4.5g carb per oatcake, so as long as that fits in with what you allow yourself then no reason not to have them, they would go well with a nice slice of cheese.

The Jellyatrics seem to get bad reviews on Amazon. Do you know how many carbs they are each so you don't overdo it.Je

The Jellyatrics seem to get bad reviews on Amazon. Do you know how many carbs they are each so you don't overdo it.
The Jellyatrics are only for emergencies while exercising. The oatcakes are fantastic with smoked mackerel patè (home made).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back