Walk-in medical centre axed as NHS battles to save cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
FINANCIAL pressures in the NHS appear to have claimed another GP walk-in service in the region.

The service at the School House surgery in Dewsbury is the third to go after similar projects were shut down in Barnsley and Scunthorpe. About 240 walk-in clinics open seven days a week were launched in a flagship health programme by Labour in 2009 across England to improve access to GP care.

But the popularity of the clinics brought huge extra costs for the NHS and about one in four of the services have now closed. Others have had their opening hours reduced among them services in Halifax, Todmorden and Bradford, while the clinic in Rotherham is expected to move to the town’s A&E unit.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...re-axed-as-nhs-battles-to-save-cash-1-6815093

The walk-in centre near me has been singled out to potentially get closed :(

I hope it doesn't happen as it's a very busy place, but more importantly, it's convenient.

The plan by the local PCT is to expand the A+E at the local hospital instead. Which of course they do, because the parking is charged at A+E whereas it's free at the walk-in.

My GP service has completely butchered thier appointments system; it's no longer possible to book a proper appointment directly, one can only book a "telephone consultation" (how is that supposed to be useful for things such as my recent toe injury?🙄), and then only between 8 and 9 am! :confused: Which is doubly useless for me, since I have problems telephoning and am rarely awake that early.

And as per standard practice, they have the cheek to call this an "improvement" even though it's blatantly quite the opposite. 🙄

Hence the only viable option for me at present is to go to the Urgent Care Centre at St. Thomas', and I will be in trouble if that goes as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back