Waking up in high teens and 20s. Everyday!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munjeeta

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For teh last 3 weeks or so, I have been waking up with readings in the high teens and 20s every morning. While at school I struggled to think straight enough to think clearly about what to do, but it started a couple of days after a clinic appointment. Following my CGM it was obvious that blood sugars were rising overnight (I was waking up with blood sugars of around 11) The doctor I saw said to increased my overnight levemir from 10 to 12 and to see what effect this had. I did, and my morning blood sugars went up.

Since it's half term this week I have been on it. Keeping adetailed diary. I've woken up the last 3 nights to do 3am tests to make sure they haven't gone the other way and are dropping. They're not.

On Tues morning, at 3am, my blood sugar was 16. When I woke up on Wed morning it had gone up to 24. During the day I got them down.

Last night I increased my levemir again from 12 to 14 (bearing in mind that a couple of weeks ago I was taking 10 units and waking up lower than I am now), before bed I was 9 (still high, but at the moment I'm just pleased to see a single figure reading), by 2am I was 19 then I woke up at 19 this morning. So no increase post 3am but an icrease before.

I have NO idea what's going on. Please please please, if anyone has any suggestions on what might be causing it or what I can to I'd be so grateful :(

Are you brewing a cold or something? I know lots of people have a rise when they are getting something.

Has anything else changed? The diary will certainly help, and if you are worried, there is no harm in going back and asking for more help.

Hey Jeeta 🙂 Hope you are ok (apart from these horrible readings!).

What time are you having dinner? Maybe you should try having it early and not snacking before bed for one night. Then you can make sure you aren't still rising from the food youve eaten.

When this happened to me I had to reduce my Lantus, but I didn't check at 3am to see if I was going low, I just did it and it worked. Maybe your requirement are increasing because it's a bit warmer? Are you doing less exercise?

"The doctor I saw said to increased my overnight levemir from 10 to 12 and to see what effect this had. I did, and my morning blood sugars went up."

Ok, just read properly 🙄

Just thinking it couldn't hurt to reduce your levimer to 10 again for a few days, just to see what happens?

Sorry to hear about your morning numbers Munjeeta, like Caroline said I can only think you could have some kind of infection or cold coming on.

I hope you get sorted out soon.

Thanks Tez. And Caroline, no cold, at least nothing that I can imagine can have been brewing for the last couple of weeks. I am on half term, so that's a change, but again, only for the last few days, not the last 2 weeks.

Thanks too, Katie. Yep, I'm ok. Just feeling grotty from the highs. I don't tend to snack before bed but maybe eating dinner a little earlier will make it easier to see what's going on :confused: It just sounded so easy when the doctor said to increase my levemir!!

Thanks Tez. And Caroline, no cold, at least nothing that I can imagine can have been brewing for the last couple of weeks. I am on half term, so that's a change, but again, only for the last few days, not the last 2 weeks.

Thanks too, Katie. Yep, I'm ok. Just feeling grotty from the highs. I don't tend to snack before bed but maybe eating dinner a little earlier will make it easier to see what's going on :confused: It just sounded so easy w/hen the doctor said to increase my levemir!!

Just a thought, eating earlier before bed helped my morning numbers. What numbers are you going to bed on? Have your ratios changed?

Perhaps you could go a little easy on the carbs for a few days as an experiment. Ease off the bread or pastry I mean.

I am having the same problem hun - except today seems to be a blip as i woke up at 3.7 wierd).

Could you be suffering the dreaded dawn phenomenon??

I am having the same problem hun - except today seems to be a blip as i woke up at 3.7 wierd).

Now that's a thought. DP. Can you get hold of a CGM from your DSN Munjeeta?

CGM is definitely the way to go with this I think, so they can get a profile of your BGs over 24hours...3 days...however long.

I should be getting my sticky mits on one tomorrow :D

Ive been thinking some more... I definitely think that if this happened to me I would go straight back to taking 10 units, since that's the last time you woke up around the 11 mark. At least that's half of what you are waking up to now.

Then if that makes things worse (not sure that's possible??) you know you need to up it rather than take less. You could wake at 3am to check you aren't way too high.

Well I did think that!! But there seems to be no pattern... One night I go up during teh second half of the night, the next I go up during the first half then stay steady :confused:

Just a thought, eating earlier before bed helped my morning numbers. What numbers are you going to bed on? Have your ratios changed?

Perhaps you could go a little easy on the carbs for a few days as an experiment. Ease off the bread or pastry I mean.

I keep meaning to make sure I test before bed. It's my least favourite time to do it.. As for ratios, not sure I'm confident with what they are to know if they've changed, they seem to change all the time!

Already did... The CGM was what made them ask me to put my evening levemir up in the first place. But thanks for the thought!!

Ive been thinking some more... I definitely think that if this happened to me I would go straight back to taking 10 units, since that's the last time you woke up around the 11 mark. At least that's half of what you are waking up to now.

Then if that makes things worse (not sure that's possible??) you know you need to up it rather than take less. You could wake at 3am to check you aren't way too high.

Yes. True! You're right - it can't get any worse. Maybe I'll try that tonight.

Thanks all 😱

Can't really addd anymore as I'm pretty clueless! All I know is that it's a game! Good luck in sorting things out as quick as you can, although I would say it would probably be best to test before you go down for the night to help work out a few things, I'm trying that at the moment too.

Take care

Rossi🙂

Seems very odd that an increase in insulin would cause an increase in levels! I wonder if levemir is just not working for you - maybe changing to lantus would help? I know it would be a big change to contemplate. Hope you don't mind the question, but there's no chance you are pregnant is there? No need to answer that one, but I know quite a few ladies have reported huge changes in levels in the early days/weeks.

Have you tried changing your levemir to a new batch? Might be a problem with the cartridges you are using. What about injection sites? Do you always inject in the same place? Might be worth changing site for a few nights. How about trying a low/no carb evening meal, like an omelette? Take your levels before bed and 3.am after few or no carbs and if you've gone up then it's your naughty liver that's being over-enthusiastic! Sometimes, a small snack can help suppress the liver's glucose production - worth a try!

Sounds to me like you could do with a pump, so you could set different basal levels - have you explored this possibility? I do hope you get it sorted soon Munjeeta, I know how hard you have tried and it must be so frustrating and upsetting to get stupid, illogical results like this. {{{Munjeeta}}}

For teh last 3 weeks or so, I have been waking up with readings in the high teens and 20s every morning. While at school I struggled to think straight enough to think clearly about what to do, but it started a couple of days after a clinic appointment. Following my CGM it was obvious that blood sugars were rising overnight (I was waking up with blood sugars of around 11) The doctor I saw said to increased my overnight levemir from 10 to 12 and to see what effect this had. I did, and my morning blood sugars went up.

Since it's half term this week I have been on it. Keeping adetailed diary. I've woken up the last 3 nights to do 3am tests to make sure they haven't gone the other way and are dropping. They're not.

On Tues morning, at 3am, my blood sugar was 16. When I woke up on Wed morning it had gone up to 24. During the day I got them down.

Last night I increased my levemir again from 12 to 14 (bearing in mind that a couple of weeks ago I was taking 10 units and waking up lower than I am now), before bed I was 9 (still high, but at the moment I'm just pleased to see a single figure reading), by 2am I was 19 then I woke up at 19 this morning. So no increase post 3am but an icrease before.

I have NO idea what's going on. Please please please, if anyone has any suggestions on what might be causing it or what I can to I'd be so grateful :(

Check oout the Somogyi Effect here ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_Somogyi_rebound

Seems very odd that an increase in insulin would cause an increase in levels! I wonder if levemir is just not working for you - maybe changing to lantus would help? I know it would be a big change to contemplate. Hope you don't mind the question, but there's no chance you are pregnant is there? No need to answer that one, but I know quite a few ladies have reported huge changes in levels in the early days/weeks.

Have you tried changing your levemir to a new batch? Might be a problem with the cartridges you are using. What about injection sites? Do you always inject in the same place? Might be worth changing site for a few nights. How about trying a low/no carb evening meal, like an omelette? Take your levels before bed and 3.am after few or no carbs and if you've gone up then it's your naughty liver that's being over-enthusiastic! Sometimes, a small snack can help suppress the liver's glucose production - worth a try!

Sounds to me like you could do with a pump, so you could set different basal levels - have you explored this possibility? I do hope you get it sorted soon Munjeeta, I know how hard you have tried and it must be so frustrating and upsetting to get stupid, illogical results like this. {{{Munjeeta}}}

I got put onto Levemir a while back because Lantus didn't agree with me... So I hope that's not the prob. As for pregnancy - eek. Maybe I should reassure myself!!

I will try changing my cartridge tonight and see if that helps any. I have been trying to be uber careful with injection sites but will pay even more attention tonight. And maybe I will try low carbs tonight. God. So much :( Thanks Northe'.

Do you take just the one dose of levemir? And how late do you take it? I'm just thinking that if it's only one dose and not taken until 11pm then it might not be lasting 24 hours and running out so you are starting to rise and it takes a while before it kicks in which accounts for the highs. So splitting might give you better basal coverage.

If you already split then ignore the above.

Hope you can get on top of things soon, can't remember how it feels to be waking up that high.

Hope you can get on top of things soon, can't remember how it feels to be waking up that high.

Thanks - yeah it's not nice! I think my body's got used to it too which is bad news. I already split. But I take a lot less in the morningn (6 units) I'm going to try upping my evening dose one more time to 16 tonight (with a 3am blood test) and if I'm still high in the morning I'm going to take Katie's advice and go back down to 10!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back