'Wake-up call' over liver disease risks due to weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
One in eight middle-aged adults in the UK could have a potentially serious form of liver disease - because they are overweight.

Scans of nearly 3,000 individuals from the UK Biobank research project showed that 12% had inflamed, fatty livers.

The British Liver Trust said the "very alarming" findings were a 'wake-up call' because the condition can lead to cirrhosis, liver failure and death.

Hepatologists said there was a silent epidemic of fatty liver disease.

This is especially worrying because symptoms often do not emerge until permanent damage is done - but the condition is reversible if caught in time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43743410

Scary stuff.

I couldn't believe the woman who'd lost 7 stone after they told her she had a fatty liver, cos she hadn't realised there was any problem with being 22 stone at that time. She was not what you'd call skinny now, either.

How can you not realise being that ruddy heavy when you aren't also approx. 9 feet tall, is a problem?

Talk about folk burying their heads in the sand. Still I expect if they do that it prevents them from reading anything or hearing anything that might make them think different.

I had 'signs' of a fatty liver at diagnosis, but I don't think they have checked again since then. I'm assuming things have improved.

I had 'signs' of a fatty liver at diagnosis, but I don't think they have checked again since then. I'm assuming things have improved.
Me to but a fatty liver can improve over time I was assured by medical professionals in Thailand, the UK and China.
My last readings in January were perfectly normal.

Me to but a fatty liver can improve over time I was assured by medical professionals in Thailand, the UK and China.
That's good Vince. When I'm due my next HbA1c in October, I will ask for a full blood test to make sure everything is checked. My last blood test was HbA1c only.

That's good Vince. When I'm due my next HbA1c in October, I will ask for a full blood test to make sure everything is checked. My last blood test was HbA1c only.
Yes Mark always worth asking.
I was told, and I have no idea how true it is, that the liver is the only organ in the human body that can repair itself from certain conditions. I did used to drink just a little to much at one time.

Mark do you not get your results online...you should be able to check the results from when you had a full blood test...one which included your liver...if not then reasonable to ask for one...I have one very other HbA1c test...at my surgery you can ring up & ask for a blood test...book your own...I ask for a full blood test (which includes everything) roughly as said every other HbA1c.

That's right Vince...according to my GP.

Yes Mark always worth asking.
I was told, and I have no idea how true it is, that the liver is the only organ in the human body that can repair itself from certain conditions. I did used to drink just a little to much at one time.

Aye, Vince, that’s true, the liver is superb at self repair. It would be interesting to find out which gene switches that on, then we could maybe do that for the brain as well, though according to a recent report in New Scientist even the brain produces new cells throughout life.

Mark do you not get your results online...you should be able to check the results from when you had a full blood test...one which included your liver...if not then reasonable to ask for one...I have one very other HbA1c test...at my surgery you can ring up & ask for a blood test...book your own...I ask for a full blood test (which includes everything) roughly as said every other HbA1c.
All I can do online is book appointments & re-order prescriptions. No blood test results. I asked them about this & they told me they do not offer that service. I do have a print out of my first full blood test somewhere. Where though, I don't know.😳

All I can do online is book appointments & re-order prescriptions. No blood test results. I asked them about this & they told me they do not offer that service. I do have a print out of my first full blood test somewhere. Where though, I don't know.😳
Mine does not do blood results, I keep asking when I last asked about a month ago they said they are looking into it.

I'm the same, hardly worth signing up for! 🙄

I have NAFLD, but following the diet they recommended (the healthy plate) I ended up with diabetes, although I do understand that the liver disease and D are related so would probably have got D anyway. Just had my blood tests yesterday for my next appointment, but got home from the blood test to find a letter cancelling my appointment in two weeks time. No treatment for it just diet and exercise, mine was caught early due to a Neurology consultant who while testing for MS (all bloods, scans etc came back clear), seemed to test me for everything possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back