Waiting for Blood results seems like forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue25

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

Had my first annual check up including blood tests yesterday morning. I called the surgery today to check results. They have them but can't share them with me until the DN has reviewed them which apparently she has scheduled in for tomorrow.

I would really like to know the result for something as important as this sooner rather than later but it looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for a call from the DN.

Is this standard practice? In hindsight I should have requested a follow up appointment with the DN but I'm assuming she will still need time to carry out her review so timescales may well be the same. Any thoughts or advice please or do I just need to be patient and play the waiting game. The anticipation is killing me.

Hi All,

Had my first annual check up including blood tests yesterday morning. I called the surgery today to check results. They have them but can't share them with me until the DN has reviewed them which apparently she has scheduled in for tomorrow.

I would really like to know the result for something as important as this sooner rather than later but it looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for a call from the DN.

Is this standard practice? In hindsight I should have requested a follow up appointment with the DN but I'm assuming she will still need time to carry out her review so timescales may well be the same. Any thoughts or advice please or do I just need to be patient and play the waiting game. The anticipation is killing me.
If you are in England (maybe Scotland too?) you should be able to sign up to see your test results online.

I usually do this to avoid interacting with the HCP's at my surgery who are worse than useless where T2 is concerned.

Edit to add.. once you have been diagnosed T2 then NICE guidelines say you should have at least semi annual check ups and HbA1c tests done... might be worth reminding your surgery...

Do you have access to your patient records online? Worth asking for this if not - my results are always online within 24 hrs of the test. No contact from GP unless there's something untoward. Annual review can be up to 3/4 weeks later - appointments are scarce!

At the hospital and DB clinic, they can get the results in about an hour, but generally, it takes my surgery about a week for blood work to come through. However, here in Scotland, I can get the results as soon as they are available by using the My Diabetes My Way portal.

If you are in England (maybe Scotland too?) you should be able to sign up to see your test results online.

I usually do this to avoid interacting with the HCP's at my surgery who are worse than useless where T2 is concerned.

Edit to add.. once you have been diagnosed T2 then NICE guidelines say you should have at least semi annual check ups and HbA1c tests done... might be worth reminding your surgery...
Hi @bulkbiker I have requested online access but I was told today by the receptionist that the results do not get uploaded until they have been reviewed by the nurse. Whether that was right or wrong, I couldn't argue with that.

My reference to the annual check was really in relation to feet & eyes. I will be insisting that I have another HbA1C blood test in 3 months time before moving to semi annual.

At the hospital and DB clinic, they can get the results in about an hour, but generally, it takes my surgery about a week for blood work to come through. However, here in Scotland, I can get the results as soon as they are available by using the My Diabetes My Way portal.
Hi @IrvineHimself I have been checking the My Diabetes Portal but HbA1C result not yet uploaded which ties in with DN review happening tomorrow.

Hopefully, I get to see the results before she calls me.

My results are normally posted online after somebody has reviewed them - 2/3 working days after the test.

Hi @bulkbiker I have requested online access but I was told today by the receptionist that the results do not get uploaded until they have been reviewed by the nurse. Whether that was right or wrong, I couldn't argue with that.

My reference to the annual check was really in relation to feet & eyes. I will be insisting that I have another HbA1C blood test in 3 months time before moving to semi annual.

They have to be reviewed.
Mine can be on the same day sometimes, but always subject to them being approved.

They have to be reviewed.
Mine can be on the same day sometimes, but always subject to them being approved.
Makes perfect sense.

Wow, it’s so quick wherever you guys all live. I give it at least two weeks before ringing the surgery (online activity is limited to repeat prescriptions only “atm”).

I hope your results come thru the system soon @Blue25. 🙂

Hi. Do ask for online access to the surgeries system so at least you can login and look at them as soon as they are there. Mine are usually on the system within 3 days.

Wow, it’s so quick wherever you guys all live. I give it at least two weeks before ringing the surgery (online activity is limited to repeat prescriptions only “atm”).

I hope your results come thru the system soon @Blue25. 🙂
Thanks @Bloden

I'm in Norfolk by the way.

Hi. Do ask for online access to the surgeries system so at least you can login and look at them as soon as they are there. Mine are usually on the system within 3 days.
I have requested full access @DaveB

Should be in place soon. Cheers.

In Scotland there is MyDiabetesMyWay, I think your GP has to refer you to it. I get my results online before any letter from the GP arrives. My personal view is the name of it is horrible, but it's a good website, should be renamed to MyHealthInformation and made available to everyone. It would probably need some tweaking to work better for non-diabetics.

@CatsFive & @IrvineHimself MyDiabetesMyWay could just be available in Scotland as my DN did not set me up with an account on this system. However, she did set me up on MapMyDiabetes but the results have not yet been uploaded. Although I did get a call today from my DN who gave me the results that she is responsible for reviewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back