VPN

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I installed VPN software a few years ago as I was increasing worried about hackers and thier ilk. It's come up for renewal with the usual "cost of living (they didn't actually that just put up the price). I am wondering is it worth it as the ISPs are meant to be doing more. Also a number of sites will not you access them via VPN. The National Lottery is understandable because of gaming law but EON.next is not - they told me it was to stop access from abroad! (bemused emoji)

So do you use a VPN?

I have considered it frequently, but never taken the plunge. Can you not exclude the route through certain websites to local only? A sort of black/white list?

I do use a VPN sometimes but for privacy reasons, not so much for protecting myself from hackers. The primary advantage of a VPN is that your ISP can't track what you're doing online. The most common use for a VPN is watching TV and films online 'for free' for example - without the VPN you might get a letter from your ISP talking about copyright infringement and threatening to cut you off if you keeping engaging in 'piracy'. Without the VPN most communication is still encrypted though. Your ISP has a record somewhere that indicates you visited this website for example, but neither they nor any hackers can realistically intercept and read the messages between your phone/PC and this website. They can't tell what you'd doing on this website by reading your communications online - VPN or not - because communication with almost all websites these days is encrypted. For this reason a VPN doesn't actually do very much to protect you from hackers. It can hide your IP address from them if you visit a site or use a service run by a hacker. On Twitter for example, if a hacker wants to identify someone, they might create something like a fake news website, post a link to an article on this fake website, and hope that a person will click on that link and thus by visiting that website reveal their IP address. Realistically though a hacker is much more likely to try to go after your password by trying to get you to login to a fake website (a fake banking website for example) or trick you into sharing an authentication code such as the kind that you might get via text message from some sites and services, or try to get you to share personal information such as name, address, DOB and credit card number - that kind of thing. An IP address, by itself, isn't as useful to the average hacker as many people believe. Attacking an IP address alone requires hacking a device - a router, a server, a PC or phone. That's not easy, and gathering the IP address from an individual is difficult thing to do in the first place (e.g. the example of the fake news website). Your email address or phone number is a more 'risky' thing to have out there than your IP address. Not clicking on any links in a text message or email, being careful not to share too much personal information on social media and so on, will do much more to protect you from hackers than a VPN. It's a privacy tool much more than something that defends against hacking.

I have VPN software as part of my antivirus thingy, but don't routinely use it for reasons I can't really understand!

We use VPN a lot when travelling. It just makes things simpler, with banking atc, if our banks (or whatever) think we're in Dunfermline or Beaconsfield or whatever.

As of April, we could access anything we wanted via VPN - from a laptopn or using our VPN configured access point, but not via Apps. It seems places like the BBC and others, insist on Location Services being enabled with VPN.

I don't know which VPN you use, but we were with Scot Hosts for year, and they are now part of Liberty Shield. Their support is excellent, with near immediate responses to email generated queries/problem

I don't use a VPN @MikeyBikey . Have thought about it. Any fake emails claiming to be from "my bank," or some "phishing" wild order or charge that may or may not be regarding an account I hold? I log in at source. Never click on that link. I don't answer an unsolicited withheld number, either. Causes trouble with my GP. I keep explaining, "leave a message, I'll contact you." Mike, check out "scam baiter" content on YouTube? It's hilarious & you learn how these fake call centres operate.

Hackers are more likely to attack the source database than the communications. It is much easier to target one server at your bank than lots of input streams.
We do occasionally use VPN but only when using a public wifi (easier to hack lots of people at an airport than lots of individual protected home wifis) or when we need extra privacy at home.

Back