Status
Not open for further replies.

OliviaCarpenter

Hello,

I hope everyone is having a lovely holiday weekend so far. My name is Olivia, and I am studying a master’s degree in Occupational Therapy at Brunel University, London.

I am looking for volunteers with Type 1 Diabetes to take part in a 20-minute online survey into the relationship between Diabetes Management and Life Balance that I am conducting for my dissertation. Your help would be greatly appreciated

For more information and to participate:

https://brunel.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/diabetes_self_management_and_life_balance

This study has been approved by @Josh DUK and Brunel College of Life, Medicine and Health Sciences Ethics Committee 35345-MHR-Mar/2022- 38640-2.

If you have any questions, please reply to this thread or alternatively you can contact me on 1239560@brunel.ac.uk

Many thanks

Attachments

I see that you are declining participants who have no other significant problems. There are quite a few folk on the forum who have multiple conditions who are also T1. I also have ulcerative colitis, currently quiescent which developed shortly after my diabetes appeared. Years later, i was found to have autoimmune chronic pancreatitis, and now have an unrelated neurological condition which means I can only walk short distances with two crutches, and have to use a wheelchair outside.

That said, I have cruised through these impositions that my body has applied, no diabetes complications at all, which I expect shows diabetes self management and life balance is just fine. I'm not unique on this forum with multiple diagnoses, but you will never hear hear their tales in Diabetesworld if you exclude them from your survey.

That's the trouble with an autoimmune condition like Type ! diabetes, once your body has developed one autoimmune condition, more tend to appear. Not always, but it does happen.

I see that you are declining participants who have no other significant problems. There are quite a few folk on the forum who have multiple conditions who are also T1. I also have ulcerative colitis, currently quiescent which developed shortly after my diabetes appeared. Years later, i was found to have autoimmune chronic pancreatitis, and now have an unrelated neurological condition which means I can only walk short distances with two crutches, and have to use a wheelchair outside.

That said, I have cruised through these impositions that my body has applied, no diabetes complications at all, which I expect shows diabetes self management and life balance is just fine. I'm not unique on this forum with multiple diagnoses, but you will never hear hear their tales in Diabetesworld if you exclude them from your survey.

That's the trouble with an autoimmune condition like Type ! diabetes, once your body has developed one autoimmune condition, more tend to appear. Not always, but it does happen.
Hi Mike, I fully agree, I have Type 1 myself and I also have two other autoimmune conditions.

Due to the type of research (not interviews) and because multiple conditions can impact on life balance and diabetes self management for individuals, sadly for the purpose of this study, I have had to exclude individuals with other medical conditions to reduce the variables that may impact the relationship I am investigating as this will likely affect the findings. Perhaps future research can assess the differences in this relationship between people with Type 1 and people with Type 1 and other conditions?

Its really great to hear that you're happy with your life balance and self-management and I appreciate you commenting, you make a valid point. I just am not in the position to do this within the research I am currently conducting and the given time constraints and resources of my course sadly. I hope you are having a lovely weekend 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back