Volunteering

• Thread starter Thread starter Pat91
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat91

Has anyone any experience of volunteering for diabeties UK. I'm interested in this myself but don't know how to go about it.

Have you checked the website? (Apologies if you have)

Yes. I am officially a volunteer for DUK as a moderator to this forum. No problems at all getting it sorted and I am well supported and not put upon. I am also a volunteer for a carers charity where I sit on a lay panel helping to ensure that the carers perspective is taken into account in their strategic thinking. That works well also.

See if there is any area where DUK are looking for volunteers and if there is something that you could do then give it a go I say.

There are different ways of volunteering.
As Docb mentioned, it could include moderating the forum, it could be related to fund raising or it could be calling upon your diabetes experience such as being a research subject, supporting a local group, …
I have volunteered for Diabetes UK as a blogger.

I started volunteering by contacting my local office, and offering to help in any way that I can. They quickly added me to their list and I was soon involved in a variety of ways. Since I retired I have more time and Diabetes Uk have made good use of my availability.

I am a host for this forum. I do as much as I can when I can and always feel valued for what I can do and do not feel at all out upon. There is good support and training to fill any gaps in my knowledge.

I am also a volunteer speaker with a particular focus on going into schools, but happy to do others as well. This has included a training session for various Groups of HCPs, the WI, Guide group and St John’s Ambulance. I ONCE did an after dinner speech but decided that wasn’t for me.

I also love being a volunteer on the T1 Family Weekends. There is a programme for parents, children with T1 and another for their siblings Through the weekend. I have been involved with each of those programmes and enjoyed everything I have done, and loved being amongst so many others with T1, and feeling very much one of the ‘normal ones’ as alarms go off all over the place from pumps and sensors and certainly not worrying about it, apart from working out whose it is at that moment!

Other opportunities that I have taken up have been contributing to induction training for DUK staff, joining advisory groups as a ‘person with T1’, contributing to The T1 Big Ones online, contributing to speaker training. I have done some fundraising with our band and also with a weaving group I belong to.

I very much enjoy whatever I do and feel valued in whatever time I am able to give. My advice would be to contact your local office and ask what is available, or look on the DUK website.

Have you checked the website? (Apologies if you have)

Cheers mate, will have a look.

Thank you all for the replies. Will give my local office a ring on Tuesday.

Thank you all for the replies. Will give my local office a ring on Tuesday.
I am a DUK volunteer. I initially became involved via my local group. It might be worth looking on this link for anything near to you:

I am a DUK volunteer. I initially became involved via my local group. It might be worth looking on this link for anything near to you:

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back