Volunteering and Diabetes Uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you get offered various things to help at - and if they don't fit in with your life or abilities - then you don't do them.

Once you are on the list you get emailed and then respond Yea or Nay. It's not regular 'work' and it isn't an onus!

Yes, there is a huge scope of volunteer opportunities, from supporting on ad-hoc basis at fundraising, through to speaking at health or patient engagement events or attending a type 1 weekend.
The volunteer team aim to find the right opportunity to fit with you and your life. Perhaps you could begin with some less frequent volunteering and see if it is feasible?

It might also be helpful to think about what you'd be interested in. Whether you would like to volunteer to directly support people living with diabetes, speak with healthcare professionals and improve diabetes care, raise awareness at schools or spread enthusiasm at fundraising events. You have probably already viewed the current vacancies, but you can always sign up and just see if anything comes up that interests you?

Hopefully some folk on here can share some first hand experience as well to give you a better idea what it is like to volunteer 🙂

I have the application form for being a fundraising ambassador. It’s all part of a long term plan to do constructive things in my spare time so that I will be ready to retire in a few years’ time!

I have the application form for being a fundraising ambassador. It’s all part of a long term plan to do constructive things in my spare time so that I will be ready to retire in a few years’ time!

Well done to you Radders. I’m sure you’ll be a real asset to DUK!

IMHO volunteering with organizations is invaluable..... My wife & I volunteer with our counties Sheriff's dept, they would not be able to operate effectively without the volunteer hours. 2 years ago marked a major milestone of 10,000,000 volunteer hours donated (I think over a time frame of 30 or so years)

I signed up to Diabetes Voices a few years ago. I have been to a training event which was excellent and have been able to participate in a few campaigns (writing to MP etc). A local event about foot care in my area was particularly good.

@Radders
Well done and I also feel you will be a good asset to DUK.
Admire you immensely.

@Hannah DUK I’d be interested in public speaking, especially in schools.

I signed up to Diabetes Voices a few years ago. I have been to a training event which was excellent and have been able to participate in a few campaigns (writing to MP etc). A local event about foot care in my area was particularly good.
That sounds really interesting.

I went on the public speaking cause a few years ago. When you see the Duk caravan in shopping ctrs & checking peoples weights etc I an a "Risk Assessor" for Duk. Its a great sense of achievement & makes you feel very positive. Can you imagine talking to more than 200 diabetics & lots coming to shack your hand after a nervous talk :D Good luck 😉

PS I have been to The Great North Run about 10 times (on the cheer bus)

That sounds really interesting.

Yes, Diabetes Voices is another great way to get involved - you can see some examples of the campaigning that members of the network have been involved in: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Campaigning/our-campaigners
But you can get involved more generally with the wider Diabetes Voices network as well. Perhaps @everydayupsanddowns knows a little more...🙄

Also, @Stefan Diabetes UK can answer questions about the DV network too 🙂

I started volunteering once I was diagnosed. I have found that whatever I am able to offer is valued by the local team and or central office. I do what I feel comfortable diong and play to my strengths. I also have a go at new things but there is never a problem if I say I don’t want to do that again.

So at present I do the following when I am able and available.
I do no more than I want to and it just fits around my plans

- Volunteer speaker, with a particular emphasis on giong into schools and teaching
lessons rather than taking assemblies (no one listens in assembly!!)
But also spoken at WI, GP surgery training day, care homes, ...
- Helping to train speakers at the local office
- Fund raising with a group of friends, by designing and weaving fabrics for calendars 2017 and 2018
(£4800 over two years)
- Diabetes Voices (see website and Mike’s post)
Their regular emails prompt us to contact local MPs etc.
You can do as much or as little as you want
- Campaigning as and when appropriate.
Yesterday this involved being filmed for a case study for the use of Liber Sensors
- DUK Roadshows as an assessor
- CCG Independent Assessment Frameork Moderator
A bit of a mouthful but part of it is promoting Practices to contribute to National Diabetes audit

It looks like loads but it only comes down to about one or two days a month, and as TW says if I don’t want to do something I don’t. I am a volunteer and I find that everything I offer to do is valued by DUK. Which just makes me want to do as much as I can, whilst also fitting in all my other interests.

If lots of people do a little it adds up to a lot. Contact your local office and ask.

I started volunteering once I was diagnosed. I have found that whatever I am able to offer is valued by the local team and or central office. I do what I feel comfortable diong and play to my strengths. I also have a go at new things but there is never a problem if I say I don’t want to do that again.

So at present I do the following when I am able and available.
I do no more than I want to and it just fits around my plans

- Volunteer speaker, with a particular emphasis on giong into schools and teaching
lessons rather than taking assemblies (no one listens in assembly!!)
But also spoken at WI, GP surgery training day, care homes, ...
- Helping to train speakers at the local office
- Fund raising with a group of friends, by designing and weaving fabrics for calendars 2017 and 2018
(£4800 over two years)
- Diabetes Voices (see website and Mike’s post)
Their regular emails prompt us to contact local MPs etc.
You can do as much or as little as you want
- Campaigning as and when appropriate.
Yesterday this involved being filmed for a case study for the use of Liber Sensors
- DUK Roadshows as an assessor
- CCG Independent Assessment Frameork Moderator
A bit of a mouthful but part of it is promoting Practices to contribute to National Diabetes audit

It looks like loads but it only comes down to about one or two days a month, and as TW says if I don’t want to do something I don’t. I am a volunteer and I find that everything I offer to do is valued by DUK. Which just makes me want to do as much as I can, whilst also fitting in all my other interests.

If lots of people do a little it adds up to a lot. Contact your local office and ask.
Wow, you do a lot! I have been to a meeting with our regional organiser and am definitely going to apply. I’m just a bit concerned because the job description does mention having your own transport, and I don’t have a car. I live in an area with excellent transport links. Do you tend to drive to your engagements?

Wow, you do a lot! I have been to a meeting with our regional organiser and am definitely going to apply. I’m just a bit concerned because the job description does mention having your own transport, and I don’t have a car. I live in an area with excellent transport links. Do you tend to drive to your engagements?
If one fo the DUK staff are giong I get a lift with one of them, if it is in a city or large town I use public transport. If the event is in the middle of nowhere I drive. If you explain that you do not have transport local team can involve you in events where you do not need a car, or possibly team you with someone else who does drive.

I did the risk assessor training, public speaking, part of the local group, went to businesses and helped out at awareness courses and Diabetes Voice.. I also did the bus tours and attended all of the local volunteer events. We organised awareness days in my area. I even did a photo shoot and got my 'mug' all over the press. I attended meetings with the local NHS, did fundraising boot sales and jumble sales.

When we needed help with the local group no one from Diabetes UK would come and help. We were left to sort it out. The group had to close down and I heard that most of the staff at the regional office left.

We felt abandoned and disillusioned with Diabetes UK. It seemed more concerned about it's image and raising money than actually helping those with Diabetes. I was lucky that the Roche rep lived near me and she helped us out with meters.

It was fun while it lasted.
I’m a bit confused: what was the local group please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back