Vitamins & Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am using a brand of vitamins and supplements which are specially done for diabetics (i'm not sure if i'm allowed to say the brand name). Because they are quite expensive, i take one every other day (they last longer that way!). I also had some lycopene capsules which i take every other day as i had quite a lot left and didn't want to waste them. Does anyone else take vits? Also i read an article about statins and how they deplete Co enzyme 10 which is good for the heart and it's recommended that anyone on statins should take a supplement. I'm on statins but up to now have not taken any Co-enzyme 10 supplements. Do you think it might be worth doing so?

I am using a brand of vitamins and supplements which are specially done for diabetics (i'm not sure if i'm allowed to say the brand name). Because they are quite expensive, i take one every other day (they last longer that way!). I also had some lycopene capsules which i take every other day as i had quite a lot left and didn't want to waste them. Does anyone else take vits? Also i read an article about statins and how they deplete Co enzyme 10 which is good for the heart and it's recommended that anyone on statins should take a supplement. I'm on statins but up to now have not taken any Co-enzyme 10 supplements. Do you think it might be worth doing so?

Sorry pet, what I know about supplements could be written on a gnats do-dah.. Hope someone else with more knowledge will be along to help out..

If you are happy taking the supplements and you feel better for them, they are helping you.

When I asked about supplemnts, I was told since my diet is generally well balanced I shouldn't need them. I think this is the line most professionals take whenthey are not sure.

I'm sure others will be along with words of wisdom soon.

Dear carina,

Regarding vitamins and supplements in general - I am of the opinion that if they work for you go for it. Personally, I can't say they have benefited me yet but I do take certain ones. Regarding CoQ10, there is absolutely no doubt that Statins prevent the production of it. The science is beyond question. In fact one Statin manufacturer (Merck) has a patent on a pill consisting of a Statin and CoQ10. Personally, you know that I think that Statins are wrongly prescribed and yes, they work, but not by lowering cholesterol (although it is beyond question that they do lower cholesterol) - they are powerful anti-inflammatories. I think everyone taking statins should also use CoQ10.

Have a look at this URL

Warmest Regards Dodger

Last edited:
I take multi vitamins sometimes, not on a regluar basis really as I get fed up with taking pills, but my diet isn't as good as it could be.

Only ones I take are a multivit for active health cos I do excercise everyday & I doubt it can hurt taking them. They dont have sugar in & are chewy raspberry flavour which is a plus!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back