Vitamin supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayerbe59

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi I was wondering whether multivitamin supplements were OK and if so whether specific ones were recommended or more to the point, those to avoid if any... formulations for over 50s only 🙂
Many thanks!

Some care has to be taken regarding supplements. I discovered that taking Ferroglobin to boost my iron (cos early on I was told that it was a good thing to do) sent my iron levels at the next blood test absolutely sky rocketing. Dangerous. So I quit taking those tablets and did a whole stack of 'research' regarding all sorts of minerals and vitamins.

I do take quite a few supplements that reflect in my blood serum tests, good or bad and I adjust accordingly, both diet and supplements.

For example I discovered from the latest serum test results that my potassium was at the very low end of the normal range AND I also discovered that one of the meds I take every day reduces the bodys ability to absorb potassium. So now I take potassium and magnesium supplements.

The results have been impressive although anecdotal.

I have noticed...

1. Blood pressure has reduced nicely into the normal range. It was always at the top end of the range before, sometime a bit high.
2. Pulse is now consistently mid range. Before it was always very low 50's and 40's !!! (Hence the recent heart investigations)
3. I have more energy and stamina
4. I feel calmer, more confident, less stressed
5. My thinking seems to be a bit clearer
6. Zero joint and muscle pain. Before it was always there and always nagging. (Mild arthritis?)

So, supplements can help but care has to be taken and I guess everyone responds differently too.

Hope that is of help

Last edited:
I just take vit D and slow release vit C and haven't noticed any change to my blood sugars. I guarantee I'm over 50! 😉

I take B12, and vitamin D. I read and will check that Metformin can reduce B12. I also take a plant sterol drink once a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back