Vitamin supplements, any I should avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, I thought I'd remembered reading somewhere that too many of a certain vitamin is bad for insulin absorption. This was a while ago and I stopped taking supplements as I have a pretty good diet. I think though I do need some as my nails gave gone thin( not really a biggy but might be lacking in some minerals/vitamin).
Does anyone know if there is an issue for type 1 and supplements or I just imagined the article as I read a LOT when first diagnosed! Thanks

Are you thinking of Vitamin C @Wonky ? I think some CGMs didn’t like high doses of vitamin C. I can’t remember reading about any other vitamin issues though. I sometimes take a multivitamin and mineral supplement, and during pregnancy took a supplement with no comments at all from the consultant (apart from the Vitamin A thing which is to do with pregnancy not diabetes).

When Fiasp first came out, I remember reading something about it increasing insulin resistance in some people because of the way it was formulated with vitamin B3. I’ve never seen anything about a link with ingesting the vitamin in the normal way.

Perhaps this is what I'm recalling? Thanks Robin.

Are you thinking of Vitamin C @Wonky ? I think some CGMs didn’t like high doses of vitamin C. I can’t remember reading about any other vitamin issues though. I sometimes take a multivitamin and mineral supplement, and during pregnancy took a supplement with no comments at all from the consultant (apart from the Vitamin A thing which is to do with pregnancy not diabetes).
Thanks Inka, yes, this is what I'm thinking about I'm sure. I read so much at one point I have to go back and check where I got the info from and just couldn't find anything but you've hit the nail on the head. This forum and the advice here is the best x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back