Vitamin Recommendations?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyn2211

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

Just looking to hear what other T1’s take for vitamins and any recommendations?! Do they effect BG readings; higher or lower?

I’ve noticed my hair falling out alot, my skin has changed and my nails seem to be very brittle since being diagnosed several months ago. It could be T1 or something else but worth a shot trying to help myself!

Thanks.
Happy New Year!

Hi there @robyn2211. 🙂 Have you spoken to your GP about these symptoms? I’ve been T1 for 14 years and haven’t experienced anything similar. As for supplements, have a look at the carb content on the packaging. I take Berocca every now and then with no effect on my BG, but I read somewhere they’re high in salt.

Are you taking Metformin? The reason I ask is that my nails went through a really bad spell of being brittle during the first 6 months of diagnosis, but that changed after I stopped taking Metformin (I was misdiagnosed Type 2 to start with). I don't know if it is a known side effect or even if the Metformin was responsible for the poor nail condition and dry skin, but it is better now. I don't take a vitamin supplement at the moment but in the past I have used the cheaper Lidl equivalent of Berocca. Even if it contains sugar, it is not going to be more than 5g carbs per tablet, probably significantly less, so really not worth worrying about. If you are taking a capsule or tablet that you swallow then it will be considerably less than 5g if it contains sugar, because of the size involved, so I really would not worry about a supplement having any significant impact on your diabetes management.

Hi there,

Just looking to hear what other T1’s take for vitamins and any recommendations?! Do they effect BG readings; higher or lower?

I’ve noticed my hair falling out alot, my skin has changed and my nails seem to be very brittle since being diagnosed several months ago. It could be T1 or something else but worth a shot trying to help myself!

Thanks.
Happy New Year!

Hi Robyn, I'm sorry you are having a bit of a tough time at the moment.

My suggestion would be that you have a chat with your GP or team about your symptoms and hopefully they would do some bloods to check things out. The symptoms of hair loss, brittle nails and usually dry skin would suggest it could be worth checking your thyroid hasn't gone a bit off.

Thyroid conditions are very common, and usually very easy to treat, so no need to panic.

Of course, these symptoms can also be associated with other conditions, so best to have that chat.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Not sure if you’re male or female but I’ve found the well woman ones look fairly comprehensive or sometimes I take the supermarket basic ones. Speak to your GP if any concerns though.

Looking stuff up regarding the symptoms you describe suggests that you ask your GP to check your vitanin A, B, C levels and minerals Selenium, iodine levels.

All can be associated with what you have described if deficient.

Foods (not an exhaustive list), some ideas...

Vitamin A: cerials, eggs, lettuce, cheese,

Vitamin B7: Banana, fish, eggs, chicken, rice, cashew nuts

Vitamin C: Raspberries, Strawberries, oranges, cabbage, cauliflower, peas,

Mineral Selenium: Bread, chicken, fish, eggs, prawns

Mineral Iodine: Fish, egg yolks, green beans, milk, potatos, prawns

My nails became brittle and skin was dry before I analysed for these aspects and corrected them with an improved diet and supplements.

I do use supplements but ensure that I do not go into excess. This is important as excessive amounts of some vitamins/minerals can cause problems.

Maybe a multi vitamin/mineral tablet might help.

The internet is an excellent resource for discovering the daily requirements, upper limits, foods

Certainly talk to your GP for advice if you are concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back