Visual Field Test - Driving Licence Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 for 50 years and about 15 years ago I was diagnosed with retinopathy in both eyes. At that time I had laser treatment which was monitored on an annual / 6 monthly basis. No further laser treatment has been deemed necessary. 6 years ago I was subject to one of these 'Visual Field tests' and although I had no feedback my driving licence was renewed. 3 years ago my licence was renewed without a test.
I have been requested to undertake a test this time with Specsavers and quite frankly I am terrified that my licence will not be renewed and I'm afraid to make the necessary appointment.
What are my options if DVLA refuse to renew? Can I appeal? My vision is worse at night but I drive a lot to get to work etc and have had any accidents in 40 years of driving.
Can someone please advise.

Bottom line is if you do not take the test then you loose your licence. There are appeal routes you can take if you fail the field vision test I believe.

I have been type 1 for 50 years and about 15 years ago I was diagnosed with retinopathy in both eyes. At that time I had laser treatment which was monitored on an annual / 6 monthly basis. No further laser treatment has been deemed necessary. 6 years ago I was subject to one of these 'Visual Field tests' and although I had no feedback my driving licence was renewed. 3 years ago my licence was renewed without a test.
I have been requested to undertake a test this time with Specsavers and quite frankly I am terrified that my licence will not be renewed and I'm afraid to make the necessary appointment.
What are my options if DVLA refuse to renew? Can I appeal? My vision is worse at night but I drive a lot to get to work etc and have had any accidents in 40 years of driving.
Can someone please advise.
Nick P.
This sounds stressful. Loosing your licence after driving for so long is scary.
But you must think of your safety and if someone hits you, your insurance may be invalide if your not covered fully.
I don’t like driving at night. So I don’t.
Good luck with the test. M.

I will take the test and of course will abide with DVLA instructions. There are at least 3 weeks to make the necessary appointment. I have heard that it is possible to obtain a licence for daylight driving only - this may be an option. Thanks for the best wishes. At the end of the day if I am not fit to drive then I should not be on the road. Just a bit galling to observe the standard of driving on our roads and speculate on their 'fitness to drive'.

@NickP - methinks you may be making wrong assumptions about those individuals to whom you refer - eg that they hold or have ever held a UK driving licence .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back