Viruses and Type 1 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Viruses are frequently invoked as possible causal agents in type 1 diabetes, but the issue remains controversial after 50 years of debate. They are attractive candidates because they penetrate cells and alter the way in which these are recognized by the immune system; because some viruses show tropism for the pancreatic islets; because animal studies show that viruses can provoke diabetes, and because susceptibility to viral infection is often determined by genetic HLA type, in common with autoimmune conditions. Notwithstanding, it has to date proved difficult to confirm a causal role for viruses in the genesis of human diabetes.

http://healthesolutions.com/viruses-and-type-1-diabetes/

That's interesting ... the two childhood diseases mentioned - mumps and German measles, are the only two I never had.

My sister had mumps when she was 3 before I was a twinkle. She never had GM either. I asked about Rubella, I was surrounded by other people's kids at home and by pregnant women at work at the time so I asked for a blood test and turns out I'm immune to it.

But I'm T1 and big sis much later became T2 - so we both say it must be the genes somewhere.

I somewhat agree

Given the fact the immune system is responsible for destroying viruses and invading pathogens, and the fact proven immune system destroys beta cells in the islets, and the fact I actually had chicken pox twice weeks after one another...I believe weeks later I got the symptoms of type 1 diabetes.
It could easily be a genetic fault causing our immune systems to identify something in the beta cells which would cause the immune system to destroy them...because a gene has been identified to be faulty in type 1 diabetics.
To be honest I have no idea. 😛

Well I've lived through a number of theories about this.

1. the birth control pill causes it

2. a gastro-intestinal bug causes it

3. trauma/stress causes it

4. wartime rationing caused it

5. junk food and too many sweet fizzy drinks causes it

You name it, someone will have a theory that it causes it.

The truth? - the human body is so complicated there is zilcho chance iun my lifetime that we'll know what causes it.

I find it all very academic, though interesting - and hopefully of some use in the future, but not my or your future, cos it's too late for all of us, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back