Vinegar Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

novorapidboi26

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone heard of these in the combat of dawn phenomonon............

Was thinking of trying them out as the only other methods I have heard are eating an apple, high protein like cheese and drinking alcohol, all before bed.

Popping a pill seems less invasive at night............

Yuk! Surely they would mess with your stomach acids though?

Dont really know what other effects are to be honest, i think they are primarily used to help with metabolism and wieght loss........

The ones is holland and barett are apple cider vinegar, dont know how big they are either..........might try them out and see what happens over night..

The last two weeks I have been rising with 15-20mmol/l, its a pain........usually about 12-15mmol/l.......

I can find some articles that claim liquid apple cider vinegar smooths out spikes for type 2s but nothing about type 1s.

They also say that the tablet form doesn't actually have any benefits, but Ive only done a quick search. Be wary of certain claims. There's a lot of money to be made from dietary supplements and they're not controlled.

Rob

I can find some articles that claim liquid apple cider vinegar smooths out spikes for type 2s but nothing about type 1s.

They also say that the tablet form doesn't actually have any benefits, but Ive only done a quick search. Be wary of certain claims. There's a lot of money to be made from dietary supplements and they're not controlled.

Rob

Cheers mate..........I have no real inerest in anything other than waking up with a resonable blood glucose..............how such tablets achieve this is also unknown to me..........I will need to continue my research........

Hiya...

I have had dawn phenomenon for ages now... despite trying lots of different things, I finally gave in & listened to my consultant's advice that the only truly effective solution is an insulin pump.... I've only been on it for a couple of weeks or so, but my goodness - so this is what it feels like to wake up with a good BG?!! 🙂 Definitely worth thinking about - in my opinion, so far the only hiccups have been user-induced 😱 and the benefits massively outweigh any issues against... for example last weekend we had to rush baby into hospital, were in with her over night (she's fine now thankfully) & I could just keep pumping away, tweaking my basal rates to allow for lack of sleep & stress - Brilliant!! Love, love, love this pump! 🙂

Hiya...

I have had dawn phenomenon for ages now... despite trying lots of different things, I finally gave in & listened to my consultant's advice that the only truly effective solution is an insulin pump.... I've only been on it for a couple of weeks or so, but my goodness - so this is what it feels like to wake up with a good BG?!! 🙂 Definitely worth thinking about - in my opinion, so far the only hiccups have been user-induced 😱 and the benefits massively outweigh any issues against... for example last weekend we had to rush baby into hospital, were in with her over night (she's fine now thankfully) & I could just keep pumping away, tweaking my basal rates to allow for lack of sleep & stress - Brilliant!! Love, love, love this pump! 🙂

If I could get one today I would take it......trust me.........what things did you try for dawn phenomonon al beit unsuccesfully

Tweaking background insulin dose, splitting dose, protein type snacks before bed, etc ... Only thing that had any effect (but was quite hit & miss) was getting up at 3 - 3.30 am every night for about 3 yrs for an extra bolus! Zzzzzzzzzz! Still catching up on that sleep!

What time do you do your basal NRboi ?

Just wondering if you could take advantage of any initial spikes. I do mine about 11pm which seems to keep things reasonable but I don't think I get the DP too bad.

Rob

What time do you do your basal NRboi ?

Just wondering if you could take advantage of any initial spikes. I do mine about 11pm which seems to keep things reasonable but I don't think I get the DP too bad.

Rob

After changing from Lantus to Levemir, I finally ended up on Humulin I, this was by request from me as I knew that there was a peak in the Humulin I unlike your Lantus and Levemir...........

I ususally take it right before my bed, say 10.30-11.00, I think it starts to work after 2 hours and peaks at 5 hours..........initially thought it was helping, but it didnt........I have also tried taking it earlier with dinner but nothing.......

isoinsulin.JPG

Isopphane (Humilin I) ONSET PEAK DURATION

Sounds like pump is your best bet, if you can wait for your turn to come around. Best of luck with it. 🙂

Rob

The only thing that worked for Alex when on MDI was to split his levemir. He was on 10 units and we split it into 7 units at night and 3 in the day. Just before we started pumping we had cracked it and he was waking on 5mmols every day.🙂Bev

Sounds like pump is your best bet, if you can wait for your turn to come around. Best of luck with it. 🙂

Rob

I agree, but I keep saying to myself - you havent exaughsted all the options, but I think I have........next review in january and constant email correspondance with DSN.............so might broach the topic with her......

I don't know about the dp but acidity is meant to reduce the overall GI of a meal.

Is it definitely the DP and not a hypo plus rebound. I guess the only real way to find out is a continuous blood glucose meter. Some places are reluctant to lend them though. It does annoy me when HCPs assume that if you are not hypo at 3am then you couldn't possibly go hypo in the night. This must be based on lots of assumptions like when you last ate etc. For all they know you could hypo at 4 or 5.

Anyway hope that you find something to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back