Victoza ran out and ignored so thinking Do I really need these meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisychain1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sorry if I’m in the wrong place and sorry for this probably being long winded but here goes ….
so this week (I had covid so was staying away from everyone) on Tuesday my husband went to collect my prescription that had been ordered and approved 2 weeks ago which included victoza, anyway told they can’t get any victoza and had informed the doctor, so I phoned my doctor and explained and said I have 2 days left what do I Do? The surgery said we’ll phoned the pharmacy because no one has told us and we’ll call you back, no one phoned me back, I have phoned every day since and been told we will phone you back, me saying I will run out Thursday, so today I have run out and no one is telling me what to do, so I’m thinking do I even need them then? And if I don’t do I need any of the other medications I’m on? a mixture for diabete, high blood pressur, cholesterol (I was border line at the time, years ago and because I smoked at the time put me on them, I haven’t smoked for 4 years now) HRT (just had to have a nasty hysteroscopy with biopsie) also had 3 biopsies for suspected breast cancer earlier this year, all have been clear thankfully

I’ve phoned every day, sometimes twice and the pharmacy has said they have emailed the gp twice on different days, no reply, guessing just to stop, does make you wonder though, is everything prescribed actually needed?

is everything prescribed actually needed?
Depends what you mean by "needed". Lots of things are fine to skip a few weeks or more (if I don't take my statin for a month I'm sure I won't notice and nor would any blood tests), but I'm not sure it's right to say that those aren't needed. It's more that they're things that affect gradual processes, so in a few weeks nothing bad is likely to happen.

I just can’t help but now think, is medication just too easy to dish out, rather than look at alternative, I mean I was told you have diabetes take this and every visit one more added, no talking, no explaining, nothing else but meds, I have never actually had a conversation about diabetes with my doctor, just called in after a routine blood test, told in a stern voice and frowned at ‘you have diabetes’!’ I said please don’t tell me I have to go back on metformin, it made me so ill before, ‘yes and we’re going to put it up by 4 times over a month’ yeah that didn’t happen, even he had to accept how ill it made me, wouldn’t give up though and still made me take one extended release a day, and still live with the bad stomach which has stopped me doing so much in life

Just realised half my original post is missing, I’ll try and add it, it may explain my post more

My meds: metforminm, Dapagliflozen, Gliclazide, Amlodipine, Victoza, Omeprazol, Atorvastatin, Ramipril, HRT, prescribed painkillers
I don’t know what to do? I’m not a loud person, I tend to shrink when talking to professional, always taught to respect but I honestly can’t help feeling maybe it’s all too easy to just prescribe, maybe it’s me, maybe it’s because I’ve been unwell with covid, maybe I should just shut up and take it? Just feeling a little let down after no interest in meds not available and no one telling me what I should do?

Can you get a copy of your prescription and go to an alternative pharmacy. Is it only the one medication that they say they can't get or all of them?

You won’t get long term complications by running high for a few days but you should be trying to get either the prescribed victoza or an alternative as soon as possible. How many different pharmacies have you tried? Do you monitor your bg at home yourself?

I had a text message from my surgery today saying there is a nationwide supply problem with Ozempic and Victoza and it wont be properly resolved until early next year. The message goes onto say that I should not worry as not taking them will not have an immediate effect on my blood glucose and that I should book an HbA1C in the next few months to see what is happening! I am no at all worried about this as I take neither of these medications! Sorry my point being that in some parts of the country there appears to be no victoza. Hope you can speak to someone soon and get an alternative prescribed.

Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time getting hold of your medication @Daisychain1

And it doesn’t sound like your surgery have found the shortages easy to cope with, and haven’t been very forthcoming with information :(

Hopefully they can offer you an alternative which is less affected by the current shortages.

FWIW, these shortgages are global:
(Saxenda = Victoza)

The news arrived in our inbox yesterday. Drug shortages that have plagued semaglutide and tirzepatide are growing worse, not fading. Novo Nordisk quietly let the word out: those supply shortages are no longer limited to Ozempic and Wegovy. Saxenda is entering a prolonged period of shortage. So it now appears that constrained supply, high prices, and low access to these important medicines will be with us for the foreseeable future.

“Difficulty for Many Patients”

The word from Novo Nordisk was matter of fact:

“Unfortunately, we anticipate that many patients will have difficulty filling their Saxenda® prescriptions for the remainder of 2023 and beyond. We sincerely regret and apologize for disruption to care that patients and healthcare providers may experience. We encourage patients who are affected to discuss alternative treatment options with their healthcare provider and work together to adjust care plans appropriately.”

The bottom line here is: sorry, but if you counted on this company to supply this medicine, you’re out of luck. Better make other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back