Victoza and flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Does anyone know how you go about flying with victoza?
Can it go in the big suitcase and go in the hold or does it have to go in hand luggage?

If in hand luggage - do I need a gp letter? I presume needles can still go in case and will be okay?

And Victoza is ok abroad in the heat? or better in fridge?

Thanks everyone.

The patient information leaflet with your Victoza should answer your questions. I would not have put it in the Hold luggage because: a) it may get too cold (you don't say where you are going, but your hold luggage may be sitting on the tarmac in conditions which are not good for it, even if the aircraft hold is heated), b) it may get lost.

You are allowed 100ml of liquids in hand luggage, so 2 pens shouldn't be a problem. GP letters are usually to enable people to prove they need to inject during travel. Unless you have a very long flight this shouldn't apply to your Victoza, but if you can get one from your GP then it won't hurt. I have always taken my prescription with me just to prove it's a prescribed drug. I would take sufficient needles to cover your trip in your hand luggage as well.

The temperature range for a pens out of the fridge is: 15°C to 30°C, I presume you only need the one pen, or 2 as a precaution, you are supposed to throw it away after 30 days since first use.
Have a look at the Frio bags (https://www.amazon.co.uk/FRIO-Parad...=UTF8&qid=1471861723&sr=8-2&keywords=frio+bag for example) which will keep your VIctoza cool.

Have a nice time.

Hi. It's best to keep all your medications and diabetic supplies in your hand luggage that way their is no chance they can go AWOL
If you do need a letter , I suggest seeing if the nurse you see at the practice will write one for you as GP's often charge for these letters.

Never put an injection pen in luggage for the hold, it may freeze and be rendered useless. I agree with Ljc, it's best to carry all your medication in hand luggage. Most security bods will be happy enough with a prescription copy.

Thanks everyone - GP has a standard letter so going to pick it up today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back