Victorian-era diseases 'returning'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diseases traditionally associated with the Victorian era are on the rise again in England, experts are warning.

The Health and Social Care Information Centre highlighted increases in gout, malnutrition and tuberculosis.

It said while they were not as widespread as they had been in the late 1800s and early 1900s, the fact they were returning needed to be addressed.

The data showed gout admissions had increased by a fifth since 2009-10, with nearly 5,800 admissions last year.

If the cases where gout was included as a secondary reason is taken into account, there were more than 86,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28439321

Schools are getting cases of Scarlet Fever too, we've had one or two instances at our school. Thought that went out with the Ark too! 😱

(although apparently it's easily treated with antibiotics)

My bosses' little boy had scarlet fever a few months ago. I was amazed!😱

Not quite the Ark, dear - it was about when is I was child in the 1950's, and they sent you away to Isolation Hospitals, and cut all your hair off if it was long - sapped your strength, it did !

I thought it was much more worrying to read that a Chinese city has been placed in isolation, following a bloke dying of Bubonic Plague!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back