Vicious circle: Diabetics prone to gum disease, which can worsen glucose control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
TORONTO - People with diabetes are far more prone to developing serious gum disease than those without the disorder, but it's not only tooth loss they need to worry about.

Experts say chronic periodontal disease can also affect the ability to keep blood-sugar levels under control, leading to worsening diabetic symptoms and an increased risk of complications like heart disease, peripheral nerve damage and vision loss.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...ich-can-worsen-glucose-control-132742043.html

I already knew this and so does - is it Sheena? It's horrible, the treatment is too. I've scarcely lost a tooth due to the decay, yet had lost a lot of the bottom ones by the time I was 35.

TG Sheena has a pro-active Dentist who sent her to Guys. I'm glad mine was 'eventually' else I'd probably have none at all by now. Sadly, no-one else since has taken much interest at all. I may be wrong here, but don't think they get paid by the NHS for preventive treatment, do they?

I already knew this and so does - is it Sheena? It's horrible, the treatment is too. I've scarcely lost a tooth due to the decay, yet had lost a lot of the bottom ones by the time I was 35.

TG Sheena has a pro-active Dentist who sent her to Guys. I'm glad mine was 'eventually' else I'd probably have none at all by now. Sadly, no-one else since has taken much interest at all. I may be wrong here, but don't think they get paid by the NHS for preventive treatment, do they?

No, they don't. I have an excellent dentist, and when they were deciding whether to remain with the NHS with the new contracts a few years ago, he decided not to since it did not allow the necessary time and treatment to prevent problems. Instead, they set their prices only slightly above NHS and provide an unhurried, considerate service - the best dentist I have had ever. Interestingly, my teeth have had no problems since diagnosis, although I did have loads of problems prior, presumably because my levels were not well-controlled in the run up (which lasted about 2 years for me, with hindsight!).

Its hit and miss with Dentists. I changed mine in September - and they recommended I purchase a childs toothbrush. So I brush normally and then those areas at the back which are close to my gums and hard to brush with a standard brush get done with the child size brush.

Its hit and miss with Dentists. I changed mine in September - and they recommended I purchase a childs toothbrush. So I brush normally and then those areas at the back which are close to my gums and hard to brush with a standard brush get done with the child size brush.

My dentist always compliments me on my brushing, yet I use a toothbrush from ASDA that I bought in a pack - two for 14p! They last for ages too!

Margie - is why they are such fans of electric toothbrushes, esp those that also beep every 30 secs so you know for a fact if it hasn't beeped you havent finished that quarter of your teeth.

Can you still get disclosing tablets? They are the best aid to whether your teeth are clean or are still festooned with placque. Must have a look in Boots.

My gums started to recede many years ago probably due to being uncontrolled when I was younger, the dentist said at the time it was diabetes related and improving blood glucose could halt it in it's track, sure enough when my control tightened it stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back