Very shaky 4.3 blood sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I've come in from work and felt terribly shaky and unsteady. Checked my blood sugar and it was 4.3. Its usually around 5.5. So I ate 10g of mixed nuts, 1 slice of very low carb bread and butter/marmite and 30g of goats cheese. Still felt very shaky so resorted to eating approx 50g of milk chocolate. I'm starting to feel OK now. I'm not sure what I should do when this happens? It does happen occasionally but it seemed bad today.

What medication are you on (if any) for diabetes? Are you on any others that have hypos as a side effect or have any other conditions that might cause this? Could it be simply hunger or thirst (it’s hot today) or a blood pressure issue or even a heart issue? Did anything precede the “event”? eg a high carb meal, a long fast

It’s not common for 4.3 to cause hypo sensations unless you’re accustomed to significantly higher levels, which you don’t seem to be. We all have an inbuilt mechanism that causes the liver to add glucose to the blood if it dips into actual hypo territory (which is lower than 4.3, typically more like mid to high 3’s) unless something is overriding that mechanism (like insulin does). As a type 2 I wouldn’t want to add unnecessary carbs, but then neither would I want to feel the way you did. Carbs take a few minutes 10- 15 mins to start raising levels so unless you are at risk of a real hypo I’d be wary about doing more than nudging them up a little at a time. As a prediabetic you have more leeway than I do though

One jelly baby very well chewed and then swallowed would be what I would use in that situation as an insulin user. That is about 5g of glucose and will raise my levels about 1.5mmols, so if I was 5.3 it would raise them to about 5.8 so still well in range, whereas 50g milk chocolate would put me well into double figures for several hours.
If you are not on any diabetes medication then you really don't need to eat anything as your body should get used to those levels as a reading in the 4s is normal and not hypo, however if you really do feel like you need something, then 1 single jelly baby should be enough if the problem is your blood glucose level. You have to be very disciplined when treating hypos, so I keep my JBs in little pouches of two, so I am not tempted to overtreat when I have a full packet in my hand and just scoff a lot like you did with the chocolate.
I think the problem was that you tried lower carb options which would take a long time to raise your levels and then when you continued to feel shaky because those slow release foods didn't work, you then binged on chocolate. If you had had one small quick acting hypo treatment like a single JB, it would have worked quicker and meant that you ate a lot less overall and didn't get tempted to hit the chocolate as you did.

Why it happened I don't know but in reality you should not need to treat at all, but a single jelly baby would be far preferable to what you ate although I appreciate why you did so and I totally understand that horrible craving to eat everything in sight.

What medication are you on (if any) for diabetes? Are you on any others that have hypos as a side effect or have any other conditions that might cause this? Could it be simply hunger or thirst (it’s hot today) or a blood pressure issue or even a heart issue? Did anything precede the “event”? eg a high carb meal, a long fast

It’s not common for 4.3 to cause hypo sensations unless you’re accustomed to significantly higher levels, which you don’t seem to be. We all have an inbuilt mechanism that causes the liver to add glucose to the blood if it dips into actual hypo territory (which is lower than 4.3, typically more like mid to high 3’s) unless something is overriding that mechanism (like insulin does). As a type 2 I wouldn’t want to add unnecessary carbs, but then neither would I want to feel the way you did. Carbs take a few minutes 10- 15 mins to start raising levels so unless you are at risk of a real hypo I’d be wary about doing more than nudging them up a little at a time. As a prediabetic you have more leeway than I do though
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm not on any diabetic medication and this fortunately doesn't happen very often!

One jelly baby very well chewed and then swallowed would be what I would use in that situation as an insulin user. That is about 5g of glucose and will raise my levels about 1.5mmols, so if I was 5.3 it would raise them to about 5.8 so still well in range, whereas 50g milk chocolate would put me well into double figures for several hours.
If you are not on any diabetes medication then you really don't need to eat anything as your body should get used to those levels as a reading in the 4s is normal and not hypo, however if you really do feel like you need something, then 1 single jelly baby should be enough if the problem is your blood glucose level. You have to be very disciplined when treating hypos, so I keep my JBs in little pouches of two, so I am not tempted to overtreat when I have a full packet in my hand and just scoff a lot like you did with the chocolate.
I think the problem was that you tried lower carb options which would take a long time to raise your levels and then when you continued to feel shaky because those slow release foods didn't work, you then binged on chocolate. If you had had one small quick acting hypo treatment like a single JB, it would have worked quicker and meant that you ate a lot less overall and didn't get tempted to hit the chocolate as you did.

Why it happened I don't know but in reality you should not need to treat at all, but a single jelly baby would be far preferable to what you ate although I appreciate why you did so and I totally understand that horrible craving to eat everything in sight.
Thanks for your reply. I will buy some jelly babies or similar tomorrow as I don't feel good about eating so much chocolate :( but I felt so shaky and horrible. But JB's on shopping list for tomorrow!

Thanks for your reply. I will buy some jelly babies or similar tomorrow as I don't feel good about eating so much chocolate :( but I felt so shaky and horrible. But JB's on shopping list for tomorrow!

Sorry to hear you had a bit of wobble @Sulfate

It can be a pretty overwhelming set of feelings and sensations. So the secret is to not over-react and over-treat when your brain is screaming EAT THE WHOLE KITCHEN!!

As you are not on meds it is very unlikely that you would go dangerously low, but if you have been running high BGs for a while, your warning signs can fire early, until your “glucose thermostat” resets. 🙂

Sorry to hear you had a bit of wobble @Sulfate

It can be a pretty overwhelming set of feelings and sensations. So the secret is to not over-react and over-treat when your brain is screaming EAT THE WHOLE KITCHEN!!

As you are not on meds it is very unlikely that you would go dangerously low, but if you have been running high BGs for a while, your warning signs can fire early, until your “glucose thermostat” resets. 🙂
Thankyou. I'm not sure what you mean by warning signs firing early? I have been on holiday in Turkey and ate very healthy but did eat far more bread than I do at home!

Thankyou. I'm not sure what you mean by warning signs firing early? I have been on holiday in Turkey and ate very healthy but did eat far more bread than I do at home!

4.3 is not hypoglycaemic. But it may be that it is quite a bit lower than your levels have been running (so comparatively low, rather than actually technically low)… Or possibly that a sharp rise from some holiday food was followed by a similarly steep drop which your body was a little freaked out by, and fired hypo warning signs when your BG levels are still above 4.0 (which is usually given as the hypo warning line)

I have had a few times this happens and realise it's more to do with low-carb eating. If you go too low you can get flu-like symptoms and go very shaky. It really feels like a hypo when you do not really know what a hypo will feel like. Most type 1/s will know that feeling and act asap to get into comfort levels.
If your blood sugar drops to 4 it could be reading in the 3's on some meters and so you could be going low enough It is possible but as others say as a type 2 who is pre-diabetic is very unlikely that the insulin in you will not actually take effect. Having chocolate or jelly babies is not likely to do harm however if this happens a lot then I would seek medical advice. You may have an infection that is reacting with your blood sugars it could be anything. You know your body but what you do not want is to get worse, not better.
I find these cold clammy shaky experiences knock me out after and I have had to sleep it off as it were. I hope you can relax enough to get your energy back.
I would not hesitate to contact a health care provider should they continue. Wish you better.

Bear in mind that carbs containing fat will not act very fast.
This is why chocolate is not recommended as hypo treatment.

Last edited:
4.3 is not hypoglycaemic. But it may be that it is quite a bit lower than your levels have been running (so comparatively low, rather than actually technically low)… Or possibly that a sharp rise from some holiday food was followed by a similarly steep drop which your body was a little freaked out by, and fired hypo warning signs when your BG levels are still above 4.0 (which is usually given as the hypo warning line)
Thankyou that is really helpful🙂

I have had a few times this happens and realise it's more to do with low-carb eating. If you go too low you can get flu-like symptoms and go very shaky. It really feels like a hypo when you do not really know what a hypo will feel like. Most type 1/s will know that feeling and act asap to get into comfort levels.
If your blood sugar drops to 4 it could be reading in the 3's on some meters and so you could be going low enough It is possible but as others say as a type 2 who is pre-diabetic is very unlikely that the insulin in you will not actually take effect. Having chocolate or jelly babies is not likely to do harm however if this happens a lot then I would seek medical advice. You may have an infection that is reacting with your blood sugars it could be anything. You know your body but what you do not want is to get worse, not better.
I find these cold clammy shaky experiences knock me out after and I have had to sleep it off as it were. I hope you can relax enough to get your energy back.
I would not hesitate to contact a health care provider should they continue. Wish you better.
Thankyou for your helpful reply 🙂

Bear in mind that carbs containing far will not act very fast.
This is why chocolate is not recommended as hypo treatment.
It was the sweetest thing I thought of but after reading everyone's advice on the forum I realise I should have maybe had a spoon of honey instead and I will buy some jelly babies today !

It was the sweetest thing I thought of but after reading everyone's advice on the forum I realise I should have maybe had a spoon of honey instead and I will buy some jelly babies today !
Or some mints, pear drops, haribos, boiled sweets - all often cheaper than JBs. Equally a dried apricot or prune (or 2); or a small handful of raisins, sultanas etc. So lots of options really, if the JBs aren't immediately close by, next time. You, unluckily, happened to choose foods that weren't much help. Your spoon of honey or jam would also have been a good option.

Whatever glucose you choose, the fastest way into your blood stream from digestion is to let the food disperse from your mouth helped by saliva, rather than quickly swallowing. Once swallowed it has to reach your stomach from its relatively long jaunt down your oesophagus and be processed from there. So, as @rebrascora said at #3, well chewed, try and let it linger in your mouth and gastric juices from saliva will do the rest. For what it's worth it also works similarly well for "hangry" children / grandchildren; and encouraging little ones to suck and delay swallowing has the additional benefit of some calming, when they've successfully wound themselves up. Used to be a great (quiet) competition on long car journeys, before electronic toys etc.

Sorry to hear you felt so poorly @Sulfate

As others have said if your body has been used to higher glucose levels you can feel strange at lower levels even thought they are safe. I start to get the hypo (low glucose signs that needs treating) at around 4.2 which is useful as I can lift it a little and stay in range and head off a hypo.

As you are not on meds it is unlikely that you will go into hypo levels, but it will take some time for your body to feel okay at those lower levels. One quick dose of glucose (I am another Jelly Baby person) should help, but then the wait!! That is hard as our brains are often shouting ‘Feed me’. I need a timer to make me wait for long enough.

It took ages for me to feel better. I just had to sit on the sofa and eat! It was horrible:(

It took ages for me to feel better. I just had to sit on the sofa and eat! It was horrible:(
It is likely you state of anxiety (at the alien symptoms) lengthened the time you felt "off".

For those living without diabetes, 4.3 and a bit lower is quite a natural, OK place to be, and those without diabetes, and those of us with, but either not on medications at all, or on "gentler" medications, it is extremely likely our liver would step in and release some of the stored glucose to help us feel better.

At the beginning of my journey, I only had that feeling a couple of times, and by then, understanding it was likely just because my body wasn't used to it, I just had a cup of tea with some milk and persuaded myself to get on with my day.

I'm not suggesting this is the ideal approach for everyone, but for me, it felt right. I was determined, if at all possible to get my numbers down into a good place, and thankfully over a few months that happened. Again, thankfully, I have managed to maintain those good numbers for almost 10 years now.

You have to do what is right for you, but I guess when we are trying to bring our numbers down, we need to be mindful of the bigger picture sometimes.

Whatever you decide; good luck with it all.

It is likely you state of anxiety (at the alien symptoms) lengthened the time you felt "off".

For those living without diabetes, 4.3 and a bit lower is quite a natural, OK place to be, and those without diabetes, and those of us with, but either not on medications at all, or on "gentler" medications, it is extremely likely our liver would step in and release some of the stored glucose to help us feel better.

At the beginning of my journey, I only had that feeling a couple of times, and by then, understanding it was likely just because my body wasn't used to it, I just had a cup of tea with some milk and persuaded myself to get on with my day.

I'm not suggesting this is the ideal approach for everyone, but for me, it felt right. I was determined, if at all possible to get my numbers down into a good place, and thankfully over a few months that happened. Again, thankfully, I have managed to maintain those good numbers for almost 10 years now.

You have to do what is right for you, but I guess when we are trying to bring our numbers down, we need to be mindful of the bigger picture sometimes.

Whatever you decide; good luck with it all.
Thankyou 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back