Very high keytones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lottie22

I am mother to daughter who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 20 years ago. She is now 30 and is on insulin pump. By and large her diabetic management is good. However, over the past 3 months she has had episodes of high keytones, culminating in a severe episode over the past 4 days. She has been to GPx2 and when she had reading of 3.9 yesterday, went to A&E. she was sent home when keytones eventually fell to 0.8. Early hours today, keytone reading was 4.4 and she felt awful, disorientated, slurring speech and sick- she's currently sat in A&E again, having had intravenous fluids/blood tests etc....the problem is that her blood sugar levels are normal. Diabetic nurse has said the keytones are not related to diabetes but from 'somewhere else'....she is likely to be sent home again as keytones now 0.8.
I am very unhappy with the lack of curiosity or plan for further assessment and have decided to see if i can pay for an urgent private assessment for her (she can't carry on like this). However, i do not know where to start...'.somewhere else'. Has anyone come across anything similar? Have any idea where/which department could help for private assessment?

Thank you in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated

How worrying for you and her @Lottie22 I agree you really need some answers as to what’s causing the ketones. Is your daughter eating normally? Has she had things like a urinary infection, etc, ruled out?

How worrying for you and her @Lottie22 I agree you really need some answers as to what’s causing the ketones. Is your daughter eating normally? Has she had things like a urinary infection, etc, ruled out?
thank you so much for your reply. yes, my daughter is eating normally - last month the keytones were connected to urinary tract infection. this time, no sign of any infection at all

I wonder if it could be connected to that UTI @Lottie22 ? I don’t know if tests can sometimes miss a urinary infection. As that was the possible cause before, I’d be looking in that area first. There are a number of causes of ketones with normal blood sugar and ruling them out in order of probability seems sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back