Very different readings between private (prick) test vs nhs HBA1C test?

zoomtothemoon

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all

Newbie pre-diabetic here, diagnosed last March with 45.

After sorting out my diet (previously ridiculously sugar + carb heavy):
  • On 9th Sept I had a private test at Boots that gave me a reading of 41, so I was super excited to be back in normal range.
  • On 20th Sept, I had the proper blood test via nhs and got a reading of 45 again.
Is this is normal variation, and which reading do I pay attention to?!
My GP is impossible to get hold of and I couldn't find anything online to answer the question.

Hoping some wise people who have experienced this will be able to advise.
Thanks so much!

I think it can vary depending on which lab it’s tested in. Sorry, can’t give you chapter and verse on that, but I’m sure I’ve read it on this forum at some point.

I have read of people having tests sent to differnt labs, having different results.

There are error margins on all test results and whilst I have no idea of the error margin for NHS HbA1c I would generally consider +/- 1mmol being reasonable, so I would definitely not worry about 1 or 2mmols difference.

Was the boots test a finger prick test or blood taken from your arm? I am guessing it was just a spot test and this will almost certainly be less accurate simply because the spot of blood is much less representative of your blood as a whole, taken from your arm and I suspect the instrument which analyses that sample will be less accurate than blood test results handled in a pathology lab, so I am afraid I would go with the NHS result as being more likely to be accurate, which I imagine is a bit of a kick in the teeth if you have made dietary changes.

Things which can inflate that number are recent illness or anaemia or stress or lack of sleep and probably countless other things.

Thanks all. Appreciate your input.

Yes, the Boots test was the finger prick with immediate result via machine in store. My diabetic friend said that's the only type of test she ever did, so we hoped it would be accurate enough. I guess the difference of 4mm is more exaggerated in the pre-diabetic range than with big numbers in the diabetic range!

Very disappointing as I've made fairly drastic dietary changes and it's not shifted in 6mths. Now just need to stop myself from mentally throwing in the towel because it feels like there's no point to all the abstinence. I miss my hot chocolate so much! But on the positive side, it's nice being able to fit into my old clothes again...

Thanks again.

Have you had a full blood count? It could be that you are not/were not at risk of developing diabetes in the first place but just that you are anaemic, as that can inflate HbA1c results. It would certainly explain why things have not changed since you made significant dietary adjustments. Might be worth checking on your NHS results to see if it has been done or asking your nurse to check your bloods if it hasn't been done.

The difference is likely that the instruments used in a pharmacy will have cost maybe a few thousand pounds and will only be calibrated periodically whereas those in the hospital lab will have likely cost hundreds of thousands of pounds and will have calibration standard with each run of samples so much more accurate as well as the fact the sample will be from venous blood not capillary blood which again will give a more representative sample.
I am surprised your friend has not had a Lab based HbA1C from venous blood as that would be the diagnostic test.
I must have been disappointing not to have seen an improvement but sometimes there is misunderstanding about carbs and their importance in reducing blood glucose i.e. too many for your body to tolerate.
Have a look at this link as it may give you some ideas for a way forward to tighten up on your dietary regime. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Thanks all. Appreciate your input.

Yes, the Boots test was the finger prick with immediate result via machine in store. My diabetic friend said that's the only type of test she ever did, so we hoped it would be accurate enough. I guess the difference of 4mm is more exaggerated in the pre-diabetic range than with big numbers in the diabetic range!

Very disappointing as I've made fairly drastic dietary changes and it's not shifted in 6mths. Now just need to stop myself from mentally throwing in the towel because it feels like there's no point to all the abstinence. I miss my hot chocolate so much! But on the positive side, it's nice being able to fit into my old clothes again...

Thanks again.
Hello @zoomtothemoon and welcome to the forum. Please don't get too disheartened. Managing your blood glucose levels is not always easy. I miss hot chocolate too. My occasional treat now is a low calorie option mixed with a couple of teaspoons of milk before adding the hot water. This makes it a bit frothier and richer tasting, especially with a little bit of squirty cream on top. Your HbA1c reading is a lot lower than mine so hopefully the information and tips in this post will help you reach your goals

I'm new to T2 myself so don't have much wisdom to share with regards to the tests (except to say I have my first retest in November and I'm already trying to manage my expectations and balance hope with acceptance that this a long path.

With regards to the hot chocolate. I love Sugar Free Londoner for her keto/blood sugar friendly sweet treats. I noticed she had a recipe for keto hot chocolate that might help with the missing? (It's a fair few ingredients I wouldn't have in stock but baking for diabetes feels like a science experiment some days and I quite like going mad scientist on some occasions! )

Sorry to hear your HbA1c is being a bit sluggish to respond to the big changes you have made @zoomtothemoon

There was one of the ‘instant HbA1c’ machines at a diabetes conference I attended once as a blogger/advocate. Fingerprick sample and a result almost instantaneously.

It read quite a bit lower than the routine lab test I had shortly afterwards too.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Really helps to hear from real people.

Huge thanks to @silver minion and @BobbleHat for the hot chocolate tips! I coped quite well without it during spring + summer, but as we get into winter I definitely need to find a replacement.

Thanks also to @Leadinglights for the link to recipes.

Aware that I'm on a much lower level than the majority of forum users though - but diabetes runs in the family so I'm just trying to get it under control before it becomes a real problem.

Thanks again all.

Hi @zoomtothemoon I, like you are new to this diabetes stuff, diagnosed 2 and a half months ago @ 51 so higher than you and like you got no or little help from the docs other than a link via my phone to this site.

So, I have had to read a lot of stuff mainly from Dr google and on this site, most of which is confusing to say the least, with all the different measurements etc, but one thing that has cropped up time and time again is weight, diet and exercise and that I can understand. My Doc has given me 3 months to go cure myself before my next blood test which is now in about 3 weeks or so.

My aim was therefore to lose 10 to 20% of my body weight
Change my diet, with the help of my wife
Exercise more, within my limits, but 20 to 30 mins per day

I also bought myself a finger prick test monitor

Have my efforts worked, well I wont know for sure until my next proper blood tests ??

So far I have lost nearly 1 1/2 stone and my BMI now reads 24.6
My finger prick test thingy has gone from 7.5 diabetic to 5.1 non diabetic (or in remission)
My blood pressure is also coming down

I have only done what I can control, but the signs are optimistically looking good (I think)

This site has so much information and helpful information and people, so my advise is don't despair and give in, just start controlling the Controllables and see where that takes you

Good luck and best wishes
Alan

Back