Very confused with drs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

julieashf

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
My initial blood test came back as 48 dr is re testing my Ac1b on Tuesday, I bought myself a BG monitor ( kinetik ,) and been taking my readings for 3 days , all of the readings bar 2 have ran high between 9 and 16 on waking before food 2 hours after food , and before bed, this morning I was worried my reading on waking was 11.3 so I rang for drs appointment , none left , the nurse rang me back and basically said my readings were not high enough for diabetes, she actually thought they were ok ?? Told be not to worry highly unlikely to be diabetes..I said what about the 48 result on my last blood test , which suggested diabetes... she said its still unlikely ... am I right to be concerned? What are you thoughts

For info I ate my tea at 6.35pm just took my BG it's 15.5
Thank you

So 4 hours after tea you are at 15.5 I would be concerened. A1c of 48 is borderline diabetes, most damage from diabetes is due to prolonged high or low levels. It is a worry and if you genuinely are worried then consider lowering you carbohydrate intake, this will help bring your glucose levels down without any medication. Slowly start reducing your carb intake, dont go to mad at first, plenty of low carb meal ideas on here and all over the internet. Not much else you can do until you get the results of your 2nd test and a diagnosis from the doc.

My initial blood test came back as 48 dr is re testing my Ac1b on Tuesday, I bought myself a BG monitor ( kinetik ,) and been taking my readings for 3 days , all of the readings bar 2 have ran high between 9 and 16 on waking before food 2 hours after food , and before bed, this morning I was worried my reading on waking was 11.3 so I rang for drs appointment , none left , the nurse rang me back and basically said my readings were not high enough for diabetes, she actually thought they were ok ?? Told be not to worry highly unlikely to be diabetes..I said what about the 48 result on my last blood test , which suggested diabetes... she said its still unlikely ... am I right to be concerned? What are you thoughts

Thank you

Have you tested someone else’s blood sugar after a meal @julieashf ? Just to see if your meter is accurate.

Thank you
Hi, I would echo Inka’s comment, about checking meter accuracy as though readings do seem high to me. My diagnosis Hba1c was 82 and I was getting readings around 12, with only a few around 14/15, 2 hours after a carb heavy meal (usually bread). Morning readings were usually fairly high and took quite some time to come down (weeks, not days), though other readings soon came down to below 10 after a few days of small dietary changes.
48 is only just into the diabetic range, so it would be a good idea to check whether those readings are true.
If you are concerned try to reduce carbs and sugars and test before and 2 hours after eating.

I have checked the monitor, and ive just had another within range reading on waking up 7.8
Iam so hungry I'm also taking thst as my reading before food cos I was eating almost as soon as I woke up..

I'm hoping the high readings were just a blip

Thanks for the replies

Good that you have a meter..it will really help you take control

Hi. It's unlikely to be a meter problem. It sounds like you are just into being diabetic as the higher level of 15 would indicate. Don't panic though. I'm on insulin and do my best to control it despite lower carbs. I peaked at 21 this week but this was an exception with 15 being common. It's not good to have BS into teens but in the short-term it is unlikely to be harmful. Hopefully you can see the GP, have a proper diagnosis and start suitable meds. In the meantime keep the carbs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back