very confused newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed with Type2 7 wks ago. HbA1c was 91. Started on metformin and eating a lower carb diet. At first was feeling a lot better. Much more energy. Saw Nurse and GP last wk and number now down to 63 so heading in right direction. All other checks normal. But keep getting these odd dips in energy. Some days feel great and doing everything (walking, gardening,hsework exercise videos) then it's like a crash. Next day really fatigued, shakey, a bit nauseous. Was told don't need to test blood sugar levels cos on metformin. Feels like I'm on a roller coaster and I don't know how to get off.

Hi welcome to the forum, many people feel as you do when you get a diagnosis, shock and bewilderment, but you have done really well in reducing your HbA1C in that time, bearing in mind it is a 3 month average so would include time when your level was high. I suspect the symptoms you are having is because the body has to adjust to lower glucose levels so you are getting a feeling of what is referred to as a false hypo even though your blood glucose isn't actually low.
The advice of not needing to test is one many people ignore and self fund a blood glucose monitor and strips so they can be in control of managing their blood glucose by 'eating to their monitor' so they can make better food choices being able to identify foods which their body cannot tolerate as it is too high in carbs.
The GlucoNavii is one with the cheapest strips available on line and is a good investment rather than relying on a three monthly check.

Well done on your progress so far @SharonW

Keep going! And keep asking questions as the come up - no need to stew in any uncertainty when the friendly folks here might have just the snippet of information to reassure you 🙂

Well done on reducing your Hba1c from over 90 down to a low 60’s score
keep doing and eating what ever your currently doing & eating
your obviously doing whatever your body needs to start to be more healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back