Veo battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redkite

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Have any Veo users noticed problems with batteries not lasting as long as they used to, or suddenly draining? We used to get 6 weeks out of each battery. I have started noting on my calendar when we put a new battery in, and the last one lasted just 16 days. :confused:

Perhaps you have a faulty batch of batteries. Might be worth trying a different batch if that doesn't work then give pump company a ring.

Thanks Sue. I don't think it's a faulty batch because this has been going on for a while with batteries from different packs, it's just that I've only just started recording the exact date I change them. I guess I need to keep an eye on it for a while and call Medtronic.

Oh that sounds really annoying, sorry to hear you're having problems!

Do you use "normal" batteries i.e from a shop, or do you get special ones from Medtronic? Our pump came with an alkaline battery which lasted a month, but since then Roche have always sent lithium ones which last 3 months!

Definitely keep a note of everything for a while and then contact Medtronic. If you're using their batteries too then you've got double the reason to complain. Maybe you'll get a nice new pump if it's developed a fault! :D

Hi Redkite,

Yes, I have noticed the battery life is not as long as it used to be by a good few days.I only have a full battery symbol for a couple of days before it starts decreasing.

I have also noticed the battery power symbol decreasing by 2 blocks out of the 4 in one go then after a few days sometimes regaining one of the blocks. I did ask Medtronic some time ago if there was a change in the batteries but was told there wasn't a problem.

ISTR Medtronic changes the batteries they sent out a while back.

They used to be called 'industrial' but are now something else.

I seem to get 4-5 weeks out of them still - but I don't have a CGM draining juice with bluetooth all the time.

16 days is very weird... Might be worth asking about battery cap?

Yes I get them sent from Medtronic. He rarely has a CGM, as we only have funding for ten per year. Flower, we have also seen what you describe, ie going from 4 bars to 2 but sometimes picking back up to 3.

I used to get about 4 weeks from a battery in the veo with 24/7 CGM use, but that has dropped to 3 weeks in the last few months. Still longer than 16 days though, and that's with CGM so it might e worth looking into with Medtronic.

Veo battery life is very poor for me. I have not managed to get the duration some of you mention here, a week is about the limit and once it was barely 3 days!

I asked my DSN and she advised my to speak to Medtronic. They replied that the "industrial" batteries were no longer supplied and I should expect around 1 week from the energised cells they supplied. As a side note, they seem happy supplying a pack of 4 AAA per month, so that kind of confirms their expectations.

I have vibrate turned off to conserve battery life. also limit number of times I download to Carlink.

One WEEK? 😱

That is terrible, this thread has put me off Medtronic if we get a choice on the next pump! Although I don't think we're due for one for at least a couple of years so let's hope they've solved the problem by then!

We didn't get a choice of pumps, we were just given the Roche one. Which I'm actually quite pleased about as I knew precisely zero about insulin pumps at the time and wouldn't have had a clue how to decide which one was best for us. Consequently I love the one we've got and would seriously miss the remote functionality if we got a different one. So the chances are I'll stick with Roche anyway. They all have their pros and cons, but battery life has never been a problem!

Havnt noticed any difference. Its energizer batteries problem not the pump you have had for a year or more. 😉 Everything is getting made smaller from mars bars to pkts of chrisps 😉

Here is the response to the battery lifetime query I raised with Medtronic back in April.

The minimum life expectancy of the energizer AAA batteries is one week. We used to be able to provide the Energizer Industrial which had a longer lifespan but unfortunately these are no longer available to us to order.

The battery indicator in the top-right of the pump will display the estimated life left, however the life left can be affected by the temperature. When leaving a heated house to outside and vice versa the battery indicator will change accordingly.

There are a few steps you can take to ensure that the battery lasts as long as possible:

· Ensure each battery placed into the device is new

· The backlight is not used in daytime

· Clear and respond to any alarms on the device. If left they can drain the battery

· Is the pump on vibrate mode? This will use more battery than the audio alerts

· Is the “remote” feature turned on? This feature will use more power as it keeps the pump awaiting an input form the remote using the radio frequency receivers.

· Uploading the pump to Carelink once a week will have a heavy impact on the battery life

We get Energizer Ultimate Lithium from Roche, hope they are not going to be discontinued too!

Although a week still seems very feeble to be honest. Our pump itself uses 1xAA and the test kit/handset uses 3xAAA. On the above lithium ones they last for 3 months! Even on bog standard alkaline batteries we got a whole month out of the pump and then the handset went a couple of days later. And that's with Bluetooth, vibrate etc switched on all the time.

I don't know if we are somehow lucky though, even the people at Roche don't seem to expect them to last that long! Wouldn't have thought that having less basal / smaller boluses than some people would make a massive difference??

We've just received new batteries with our last reservoir order from Medtronic and got sent the Energizer ultra+, they tend to last 4-5 weeks on average for us 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back