Venting our anger at the wrong people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjeff27

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Surely its not the fault of the NHS our testing strips cost so much? its the fault of the big pharmacutical companies, the have turned diabetes into a cash cow for them, as well as holding us, and the NHS to ransom! makes you wonder if its in their financial interests to cure diabetes?......
Arent these strips similar to litmus paper, which costs next to nothing in comparison?

I am not sure who is to blame - but i do know that the pharmaceutical companies do actually plough lots of money back into research - they give a lot to JDRF (juvenile diabetes research foundation) and i think (DUK). I dont know whether this is voluntary or not - but at least they do contribute.
Test strips are not just litmus paper - they are (i think) quite sophisticated and use the 'chip' technology. It would be great if they cost pennies - but someone has to pay for the initial research or the pharmaceuticals wouldnt be in business. I do think it is dreadful that type 2's are restricted to few or none at all - long term this will cause damage and complications if they arent given the tools to help themselves. There is no way of knowing whether certain foods are causing high levels without testing - so its criminal to deny the strips in my opinion.:confused:Bev

Jeff........if you get put on any medication to help with your diabetes, then presciptions are free (I'm sure this is true). If like me, you are trying to save the NHS money by doing the same via diet and exercise.....then let the Doctor know you are saving the NHS said money, smile, and ask for a script for test strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back