vegetarian hypo treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantastic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I made a discovery last night while having a hypo that my usual treatment of wine gums actually contains bovine gelatine. I decided to follow a vegetarian diet about a year ago and even though its pretty much general knowledge that jelly sweets contain gelatine, i just didn't think.

So does anyone know of anything i could use instead?? thats veggie friendly of course🙂

I learnt at DAFNE that wine gums were the best thing and i found them fantastic cos they're so easy to carry around, buy in mass supply, aren't too expensive too and don't melt!!
I don't like carrying coke with me its its big and heavy and the cans can only be used once. I use it at home, so i just need something i can put into my pocket or handbag that i can use istead.

Lots of people use fruit juice in small cartons, but that can be heavy to carry if you don't want anything too bulky. Have you tried looking in the health food shop? They sometimes have interesting sweet things that might help.

I use dextrose tablets but I tend to leave packets all over the place rather than carry them with me as they tend to break up if carried in a pocket or bag. I also carry one or two tubes of Glucogel for use if I am not near one of my stashes of dextrose tabs - it tastes awful otherwise I'd always use it because it's available on script.

I use glucotabs - the raspberry ones actually taste really nice. They are veggie friendly (just checked the ingredients)

I know alot of Sainsbury's own brand chewy sweets have recently replaced the gelatin and are now veggie. May be something in that range that's easy to carry around....?

I have just checked my hypo treatment, I need it that rarely it is 6 months out of date...

I use glucotabs usually for my hypo treatment and I'm pretty sure they will be veggie. Have you tried those mini cans of coke? they contain just about the right amount to treat a hypo.

thanks for the ideas.
I don't like carrying juice cartons with me as i had a messy experience once and found them not very practical.
not a fan of the tablets either. not sure about anyone else but i get really thursty when having a hypo and find that i don't want to chew on a white powdery tablet :s

but i'll definately go and check out what sainsbury's have to offer!

I can often have 2 or 3 hypos a day so bags of sweets keep me in good supply when i'm out all day! i'll just have to get a bigger handbag and pockets to keep them in:D

DONT LOOK if you love sweeties! You can also get vegetarian marshmallows and turkish delight (proper stuff not with chocolate on) is also veggie in sainsburys. Enjoy! But also you need to get to the bottom of all these hypo's!:DBev

http://www.sweetieworld.co.uk/vegetarian_sweets/

Last edited:
I'm veggie too (albeit recently lapsed a tad...) and supermarket own brands are usually the best place to check for veggie jelly sweets.

Jelly babies (bassett) are not veggie, nor are the value own brands normally, but the standard own brands are quite often. Can't remember which ones I've checked now, but it'll definitely be at least one of Tesco, Asda & Sainsburys brand jelly babies as we've got all 3 within a few minutes of home so we shop around.

(3 jelly babies is about 15g CHO btw)

If you have a lot of mild hypos, dried figs / apricots are a good thing to have in. Healthy, sweet... don't travel that well, and not always effective in a big bad low one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back