VEGETABLE SMOOTHIE

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelSprings

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi
Does anyone have a recipe for a vegetable smoothie that doesn't taste awful? I try to include in my diet four or five cooked vegetables a day, but sometimes it's not always possible. And I thought that I could get round this by blitzing several vegetables into a smoothie in my Vitamix. The only problem is I cannot stand the taste of raw broccoli, cauliflower, etc but appreciate that they are very good for us, and sometimes the only way to make these palatable is to add the sweetness of fruit, but fruit sends up blood glucose levels. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I tested various smoothies and found that they all produced large spikes, so I would advise caution.
I can't see anything about them which is 'very good for us' really.

Hi @AngelSprings, I'm not a smoothie fan but I have a multi-veg soup which I batch cook and freeze, with broccoli, watercress, spinach and kale or cabbage with a mountain of pepper. I cook the veggies for about 10 mins then blitz up. Not sure how this would taste cold though. I heat it up either when I'm working from home or the office as we have a microwave there. Gets in a few of my 5 a day quickly.

soup is better for veg but: I think if you whizz up some carrots, some root ginger, one apple and maybe cucumber that might taste ok?

Or, make a salad of some carrots, one apple, cucumber, and a few walnuts. with salt and pepper and olive oil

Are there vegetables that you do like the taste of @AngelSprings ?

I think, as you say, avoiding adding fruit is likely to be a good plan, as fruit juice/fruit smoothies are suitable for hypo treatments they raise BGs so rapidly

Hi All
Thank you for replying to my post. It's not easy finding smoothies that fit in with a low carb lifestyle. To be honest, there's not many vegetables I like in their raw state, apart from fresh podded peas. Today, I tried a smoothie containing avocado, spinach, and berries, but I wouldn't make it again.

I think that Vonnie is right in suggesting making a vegetable soup that is readily available, but it's getting the ingredients right. In the past I've thrown vegetables into a pan, cooked them for ten minutes, blitzed them, and ended up with a tasteless mushy mess. Perhaps you're a better cook than I am, Vonnie.

Drummer - Smoothies can be so good for us, because vegetables and fruit, being unprocessed, retain most of their precious vitamins.

So the search is still on.

Many thanks.

Hi All
Thank you for replying to my post. It's not easy finding smoothies that fit in with a low carb lifestyle. To be honest, there's not many vegetables I like in their raw state, apart from fresh podded peas. Today, I tried a smoothie containing avocado, spinach, and berries, but I wouldn't make it again.

I think that Vonnie is right in suggesting making a vegetable soup that is readily available, but it's getting the ingredients right. In the past I've thrown vegetables into a pan, cooked them for ten minutes, blitzed them, and ended up with a tasteless mushy mess. Perhaps you're a better cook than I am, Vonnie.

Drummer - Smoothies can be so good for us, because vegetables and fruit, being unprocessed, retain most of their precious vitamins.

Many thanks.
Getting the seasoning right is important but not mixing green and red veg gives better results. So broccoli and stilton, courgette and brie, celery, leek and pea, butternut squash and red pepper, tomato, carrot and lentil are all good combinations.
The Covent garden 365 soups for every day has good recipes.

Hi All

Many thanks.
Smoothies can be bad for us because the processing releases all the starches from the cells and so they spike our blood glucose.
Why do you think a smoothie is unprocessed?

Hi Leading Lights, I like the sound of the New Covent Garden 365 day soup recipe book and checked it out on Amazon, and was shocked to learn that a new hardbacked version costs £34.99! I'd never pay this much for a book. However, there were some second hand ones listed for sale, (the one I've ordered costs £4.81) and it should be arriving in a few days times. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you.

Hi Leading Lights, I like the sound of the New Covent Garden 365 day soup recipe book and checked it out on Amazon, and was shocked to learn that a new hardbacked version costs £34.99! I'd never pay this much for a book. However, there were some second hand ones listed for sale, (the one I've ordered costs £4.81) and it should be arriving in a few days times. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you.
WOW, I bought mine in a charity shop. There is a mixture of soups and more casserole type meals.

Hi Leading Lights, Just to let you know that the New Covent Garden Food Company "A soup for every day" book arrived just ten minutes ago, and all I can say is "Wow". As I mentioned previously, on Amazon the price was £34.99 and so I went for a second hand copy, and fully expected for £4.81, the sum I paid, to receive a dog eared paperback version. But no, the book is hardbacked and in pristine condition, the only indication that it had a previous owner is the written message written inside "Happy Christmas Amy, Love mum and dad". I'm wondering now who Amy is! The book then was priced at £25, so still not cheap.

Got to shop for ingredients now!

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back