Vegas break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Going for a 7 night break next month, was there a few years ago (before type 1) plan was usually a coffee in the room and a sachet of porridge then out , the porridge was to see you over till a real breakfast which could be an hour to an hour and a half later, the plan is to do the same again, I'm the only one diabetic so don't expect people to change plans to suit me, which way would be the best regarding my novarapid, do I take some with the porridge then some later with a breakfast, cant really miss the porridge as I expect I will drop low whilst looking for an eating place...any advice appreciated...

Hi @Charl
How exciting. I have never been to Vegas but it is definitely one of the places I want to see some day.
With regards to your insulin, we need to take a bolus injection when we eat carbs whether this is a porridge for pre-breakfast, breakfast or an icecream to cool you down in the afternoon.
So, yes, you take some NovoRapid with your porridge and your breakfast. That is likely to mean that when you inject for breakfast you still have some active insulin on board from your porridge and probably some undigested carbs to use up that insulin. Therefore, I would not include a correction factor in my calculation for breakfast.

I am a little concerned that you think you will drop low when looking for a breakfast spot if you do not eat the porridge. That suggests to me that your insulin dose may be too high. Assuming you have not taken any NovoRapid when you go out, that can only mean your basal is a bit high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back