Veg and proteins eaten before carbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoriKG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I found a 2015 study that suggested that glucose levels were much lower at 30, 60 and 120 minute checks when vegetables and protein were eaten before the carbohydrates during a meal. However, I have not been able to find more recent information on this conclusion. Is it considered to be correct? Thank you so much.

I have not heard this one before, and some people find eating just protein and little carbohydrates, find it raises glucose levels.

I think the theory behind this is that the protein from the meat and the fibre from the veggies will slow down the digestion of the carbs in the same way as having fat with higher carb foods can slow their digestion. The carbs will still release their glucose but it will be over a longer period and perhaps give a sluggish insulin response in a Type 2 diabetic a chance to catch up.

Protein breakdown into glucose usually happens in the absence of sufficient carbs and will affect people who have little or no insulin production (Mostly Type 1 diabetics) rather than Type 2s who have insulin but it isn't as quick and efficient as it should be. For me, it takes about 2 hours from eating for protein to start release glucose and it is a slow steady process for several hours after than and produces a slow steady increase or upward drift in my BG rather than a spike you would see from carbs. Because I have to inject insulin to deal with it it drops suddenly once that insulin kicks in whereas with someone whose body is able to produce insulin they might not see any rise at all because the body can manage to produce enough insulin for that slow steady release.

Yes, all carbs are definitely not the same.
And digestion of them can be altered.
Putting a low carb veg and protein into the mix slows down the digestion of high GI carbs, and so slows down the sugar rush.
If you have a slow insulin response as a type 2, you can turn a short, high, spike into a low, but possibly more prolonged rise.
I did this, along with targeting a low GI diet, when I was initially diagnosed.

Yes, all carbs are definitely not the same.
And digestion of them can be altered.
Putting a low carb veg and protein into the mix slows down the digestion of high GI carbs, and so slows down the sugar rush.
If you have a slow insulin response as a type 2, you can turn a short, high, spike into a low, but possibly more prolonged rise.
I did this, along with targeting a low GI diet, when I was initially diagnosed.
Thank you for the information, travellor

I think the theory behind this is that the protein from the meat and the fibre from the veggies will slow down the digestion of the carbs in the same way as having fat with higher carb foods can slow their digestion. The carbs will still release their glucose but it will be over a longer period and perhaps give a sluggish insulin response in a Type 2 diabetic a chance to catch up.

Protein breakdown into glucose usually happens in the absence of sufficient carbs and will affect people who have little or no insulin production (Mostly Type 1 diabetics) rather than Type 2s who have insulin but it isn't as quick and efficient as it should be. For me, it takes about 2 hours from eating for protein to start release glucose and it is a slow steady process for several hours after than and produces a slow steady increase or upward drift in my BG rather than a spike you would see from carbs. Because I have to inject insulin to deal with it it drops suddenly once that insulin kicks in whereas with someone whose body is able to produce insulin they might not see any rise at all because the body can manage to produce enough insulin for that slow steady release.
Thank you so much, rebrascora.

I noticed that a colleague who was Type 1 always ate his lunch in a particular order after injecting his insulin, he seemed to have the apple first which always seemed the wrong way round as people normally eat the fruit at the end.

His Type 1 could be a coincidence. Some people like to eat fruit on an empty stomach ie first in this case.

If I’m high or can’t prebolus I leave the carbs till last, if it’s a meal where they can be eaten seperately. It just gives my bolus the 10 minutes headstart whilst I eat other bits of the meal before the carbs start hitting. Not sure if it helps but it feels at least like I’m trying to have better bgs!

If I’m high or can’t prebolus I leave the carbs till last, if it’s a meal where they can be eaten seperately. It just gives my bolus the 10 minutes headstart whilst I eat other bits of the meal before the carbs start hitting. Not sure if it helps but it feels at least like I’m trying to have better bgs!
Thanks Lucyr, I appreciate the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back