Vaccines and Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mareen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
High There
I have recently had both my Covid booster and my Flu jab. Covid three weeks ago and Flu jab one week ago.
Since then I have had major problems trying to keep my BG under control. It's going so high o_O
Has anyone experienced the same thing?

I believe some people have had to adjust their insulin regime temporarily to account for it.

There are many things that can affect our blood sugars.
Stress, illness and medication are three.

When we have a vaccination, it can be seen as a medication, it can cause our bodies to think it is unwell and feel stressed which can affect our levels. It common for someone with diabetes to react with a higher blood sugar following a vaccination.
On the other hand, some bodies have no reaction to the jabs and some have seen a higher insulin sensitivity after the covid jab.

It is always recommended to keep a closer eye on our blood sugars following a jab.

I had both seasonal Covid booster and flu jab on the same day (last Saturday). They opened the latest Pfizer Biontech as I arrived and were very excited by them. I was warned that it was causing some 'young people' side effects of extreme fatigue aches and pains for 2-3 days. I laughed as I can't remember the last time I was called young (46 years old). However, I was wiped out for two days and felt like I had been beaten up until Tuesday. I had quite a few hypos and several big spikes whilst I felt unwell, but everything was back under control by Wednesday.

Thanks for the replies folk.
I was only diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes a year ago so it's all really new to me. What a learning curve!
Glad to hear everything is back under control for you Ivostas.
I'm still hoping that everything will be back under control for me - it seems to be taking quite a while!

Thanks for the replies folk.
I was only diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes a year ago so it's all really new to me. What a learning curve!
Glad to hear everything is back under control for you Ivostas.
I'm still hoping that everything will be back under control for me - it seems to be taking quite a while!
It is also possible that the vaccine has triggered your immune system to see off a few more of your insulin producing beta cells since you are newly diagnosed and possibly still in the honeymoon period. I believe this happened to me after the first Covid vaccine. Over the following 3 moths my basal insulin needs almost doubled. I was doing lots of corrections with bolus insulin to bring levels down and then eventually increasing basal and then I would need more corrections again. Eventually it levelled out and my basal insulin doses have pretty stable since then but remained at that elevated level give or take a couple of units here and there for exercise and seasonal changes.
What I am saying is that it may be that your insulin needs do not return to their previous low level and this is now your new normal and adjusting your basal insulin may be key to balancing things again.

Thank you for that info. It really makes sense!!
I have already upped my basal insulin slightly but maybe I need to increase it a lot more.
Really appreciate the help and support. It can be quite scary when you don't understand what's going in.
Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back