Vaccine will cure diabetes: Scientist close to finding new wonder drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
BRITISH scientists are working on a jab that could provide a “longed-for” diabetes cure.

Launching the project today, they believe the research will result in an effective *vaccine to combat Type 1 diabetes.

Dr Alasdair Rankin, Diabetes UK’s director of research, said: “This research is hugely *exciting because it has the potential to *transform the lives of hundreds of thousands of people *living with Type 1 diabetes, as well as leading us towards a longed-for cure.”

The vaccine would work in harmony with other treatments that reduce damage to *insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.

In the first of four new studies, Professor Mark Peakman at King’s College London will lead the UK trial of a prototype vaccine for *children and teenagers living with or at high risk of Type 1 diabetes.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/266715/Scientist-close-to-finding-new-cure-diabetes

Scientists hope to produce the first working vaccines within 10 years.
:D :D :D

This is good news obviously, but my understanding of this (not new) development is that it is aimed at preventing the autoimmune destruction of the pancreas, and as such is aimed at children who have just been diagnosed (and may therefore still have some working beta cells) or siblings etc. who are testing positive for islet cell antibody markers. It wouldn't be any use for people who already have type 1. A step in the right direction though 🙂

This is good news obviously, but my understanding of this (not new) development is that it is aimed at preventing the autoimmune destruction of the pancreas, and as such is aimed at children who have just been diagnosed (and may therefore still have some working beta cells) or siblings etc. who are testing positive for islet cell antibody markers. It wouldn't be any use for people who already have type 1. A step in the right direction though 🙂

Indeed, good if it can stop any more people from becoming Type1. I wonder if it would do anything for me, since I clearly have some remaining beta cells? I also wonder what will happen to support and innovation in the T1 world if they become a limited market for the pharma companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back