vaccine for pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxsmith05

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had the PPSV23 last year. I never had any innoculations as a child other than the first due to an epileptic fit (non febrile seizure)
I have never has PCV13 (prevnar13). I know its normally given the other way round but I am needlephobic so wasnt sure that I would go through with having the PPSV23 if it was unpleasant. I have multiple health problems and nearly died of pneumonia a few years ago. I am nearly 49. It says on NHS website to wait 6 months before the second due to the theoretical danger of hypo-reactivity. The ADA and CDC in the US recently increased their guidance to 1yr+ and NICE say 2yrs all for the same reason.

The PCV13 is significantly more effective for the serotypes contained within it than the PPSV23 (of which 12 are contained in both)

Should I get the jab this year or next?
6months, 12/1yr or 2yrs?

I would have to pay and have found a pharmacy that would administer it for £75 (most charge 70). It is close to my parents house so could stay a few days due to side effects. I have never had a vaccine without side effects and in february 2021 I had the first accine for 47yrs the covid jab. now had all 3 plus pneumonia jab all between february and november. I had been and my parents were advised to not give any more innoculations after the first at 2-3 months old. I hadnt had any more innoculations until last year.

I asked about MMR but got no reply to my letter.

I'm afraid I cannot help you but to say I had my pneumonia jab in October and was told it was a single jab only, no more required, but maybe it was different to the one you had.

I had the PPSV23 last year. I never had any innoculations as a child other than the first due to an epileptic fit (non febrile seizure)
I have never has PCV13 (prevnar13). I know its normally given the other way round but I am needlephobic so wasnt sure that I would go through with having the PPSV23 if it was unpleasant. I have multiple health problems and nearly died of pneumonia a few years ago. I am nearly 49. It says on NHS website to wait 6 months before the second due to the theoretical danger of hypo-reactivity. The ADA and CDC in the US recently increased their guidance to 1yr+ and NICE say 2yrs all for the same reason.

The PCV13 is significantly more effective for the serotypes contained within it than the PPSV23 (of which 12 are contained in both)

Should I get the jab this year or next?
6months, 12/1yr or 2yrs?

I would have to pay and have found a pharmacy that would administer it for £75 (most charge 70). It is close to my parents house so could stay a few days due to side effects. I have never had a vaccine without side effects and in february 2021 I had the first accine for 47yrs the covid jab. now had all 3 plus pneumonia jab all between february and november. I had been and my parents were advised to not give any more innoculations after the first at 2-3 months old. I hadnt had any more innoculations until last year.

I asked about MMR but got no reply to my letter.
I don't know if this answers your question.
'Adults who have immunocompromising conditions should receive two doses of PPSV23, given 5 years apart, before age 65 years. Those adults should then receive a third dose of PPSV23 at or after 65 years, as long as it's been at least 5 years since the most recent dose'.
You probably need to check with your GP.

I think these questions should be discussed with your doctor.

If you line in UK, there should be no need to find a pharmacist willing to administer a vaccine. Your GP should organise that for you.

If I felt, like you, rather concerned about having the jab, and the after effects, I would be inclined to prefer my GP to administter it. They have plenty medical equipment in house if they have concerns, including ECG machines and so on.

I'd also say, as a generalisation, that much has changed in the years since you were a child, and you are likely to be monitored more closely these days.

Did you have your Covid vaccine at your GP surgery or other NHS Vaccine Hub? Do you carry an EpiPen?

The GP isn't allowed to administer PCV unless you are certain ages or immunocompromised by specified conditions unlike the other jab PPV where he concluded that although i missed out on the criteria for multiple conditions he is allowed to use clinical judgement in cases where there are multiple conditions affecting immune response hence he gave it. This isn't allowed for PCV and the NHS websites information is contradictory between different pages and also to the green book.

The NHS free option isn't available but PCV is recommended to increase protection for many conditions and a pharmacy can administer it to anyone for a small fee. As its more effective it costs more so was offered free to diabetics etc but that has stopped to save money although such a saving will possibly cost more in the long run as you usually only need one shot at my age until 65. Most people will have one shot at <2 and one at >65 and I of course missed the childhood shot.

The severe reactions involved SoB, Bells Palsey, Vertigo and Vomiting and ambulances and a hospital visit but not anaphlaxis so I have no EpiPen. I had little effect from the pneumonis jab but SoB and swollen lymph nodes in the neck which no doubt caused the SoB (Shortness of Breath) but the PCV is more effective and has more severe reactions. statistically.,

Had all 3 jabs incl. booster at a GP surgery just not mine. All 3 at same location in early feb, mid apr and mid nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back