V High blood sugars - really worried...

Status
Not open for further replies.

getcarter76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Its me again...sorry you guys i am having a right old spell at the mo...

I have been having problems with my test strips as you are probably aware from my previous thread but i am really concerned about my blood sugar levels. I have not had this problem since diagnosis 27 odd years ago!

Yesterday to cut a very long story short i tested 3 times over a period of several hours (due to having only 3 strips at one point) to be 18 / 20 and 22 mmol 😱 About 7pm last night I worked out that my insulin cartridge had split!! So changed this and gave myself a decent correction dose.

This morning i woke up and it was 13, injected had breakfast tested again and it was 14! Thought something was up and checked my cartridge again only to find the cartridge was split again!! So i chucked the whole box away! Now, i don't want to be ordering too many more boxes otherwise they will stop dispensing these too (gotta laugh my goodness me)!

Anyway got back onto an even keel and low and behold just tested and i was 22 again 😱

As said this hasn't happened to me for years and i am unable to test for ketones as i have never been advised or given strips for this. I was given some in the post by a kind lady but they are for the Optimum meter which i don't have (but will be getting my mitts on)!

I am really worried about this and am totally concerned that my blood sugar has been so high for what feels like (for me) a long period of time and not sure what to do about it all.

I have very few times the D getting to me but today now is one of those days. I am also now worried to test too much in case i get an earful tomorrow in anycase due to the test strips problem. I am a worrier at the best of times and don't like to get into verbal confrontation as i can never think of the right things to say at the right time.

Thank you for listening at this late hour...

Bernie xx

Bernie, first of all, do NOT worry about testing because of some stupid rules they seem to have conjured up - it is for the good of your health and you need to know what is going on. Can anyone smell pear drops on your breath? That can indicate ketones. Drink plenty of water which will help your body flush put any ketones if they are there. Is there a 24 hour pharmacy you might be able to get ketone pee sticks from?

Have you had a correction dose for the high levels? Keep testing and if they persist it may be that you are coming down with something. Do you feel as though your levels are high? Might it be your meter - do you have control solution, or could you test a non-diabetic in your household to check that the meter is OK?

If your levels don't start coming down, call NHS Direct and see what they advise. Hope it's just a cold or something.

Everything Northe says plus - I would ring the emergency GP. Not to scare you Bernie, but to get advice and reassurance. It could be that you just happened to have caught those highs as you've not had enough strips to detect a pattern. I think they owe you one, and thats what the on call GP's are for. Do drink plenty of water, and dont worry about how often you're testing! Are u able to take some correction doses? As Alan says, you might well be coming down with something, but call them and let them earn their money tonight. Worrying is far worse than knowing. (And I'm a right one to talk!!)
Gloria

I'm sorry to hear about your high numbers. I hope they have come down.

I realse you have 27 years experience with diabetes Bernie. I know this might sound silly but did you wash your hands before testing? Sometimes sweat or something you may have touched could affect your readings. I learned that the hard way.

I'm sorry to hear about your high numbers. I hope they have come down.

I realse you have 27 years experience with diabetes Bernie. I know this might sound silly but did you wash your hands before testing? Sometimes sweat or something you may have touched could affect your readings. I learned that the hard way.

Hi Tez....since joining this site I have learnt sooooo much as I was a bit set in my ways of what i have learnt from the good ol days! I have learnt new things every day 🙂

To be honest with you this is another thing i didn't know, in that it can effect your readings with sweat etc. Not that i am a minger and i do wash my hands 😛, I never knew that this could effect the reading. Thanks for passing on the advice i shall keep this in my mind for the future.

I am hoping that my body has had a blip and has sorted itself as i haven't had this problem today. I have been keeping a close eye on this though and what i have eaten. What a nuisance the D can be at times.

Bernie xx 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back