UTIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxannekitty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, hope you’re all doing ok. Can anyone tell me if they suffer with UTI’s? Since being diagnosed with type 2 in December I’ve been plagued by them. The Doctor puts me on antibiotics then it goes away but it comes back within a week or so. They are so horrible and painful. Thank you all

UTI are more likely if your blood glucose is high as your kidneys will be trying to get rid of excess glucose and the bacteria that cause UTI just love a sugary environment so keeping your blood glucose well managed is important.
You may not have been prescribed the correct antibiotic as those for UTIs need to act in the correct place.
Has your Doctor sent a sample to the lab as that would help in finding the correct antibiotic as they would test various antibiotics against the particular bacteria that is causing the infection.
If it is coming back that suggests a different or longer course of meds is needed.
Making sure you drink plenty can help.

UTI are more likely if your blood glucose is high as your kidneys will be trying to get rid of excess glucose and the bacteria that cause UTI just love a sugary environment so keeping your blood glucose well managed is important.
You may not have been prescribed the correct antibiotic as those for UTIs need to act in the correct place.
Has your Doctor sent a sample to the lab as that would help in finding the correct antibiotic as they would test various antibiotics against the particular bacteria that is causing the infection.
If it is coming back that suggests a different or longer course of meds is needed.
Making sure you drink plenty can help.
Thank you. Yes a sample has been done and I was put on a four day course but that didn’t do much good unfortunately. I have to drink plenty of water as I have an unpronounceable condition where my blood doesn’t clot so I have to keep my blood hydrated. There’s still so much I don’t know about Diabetes and I don’t have my Part 2 till February 24!! But have to admit I’m at my wits end with these UTI’s

Thank you. Yes a sample has been done and I was put on a four day course but that didn’t do much good unfortunately. I have to drink plenty of water as I have an unpronounceable condition where my blood doesn’t clot so I have to keep my blood hydrated. There’s still so much I don’t know about Diabetes and I don’t have my Part 2 till February 24!! But have to admit I’m at my wits end with these UTI’s
What antibiotic were you prescribed?
Two common ones for UTIs are ciprofloxacin and nitrofurantoin but they would normally be taken for 7-14 days so your 4 day course seems a bit too short.

What antibiotic were you prescribed?
Two common ones for UTIs are ciprofloxacin and nitrofurantoin but they would normally be taken for 7-14 days so your 4 day course seems a bit too short.
I was prescribed Pivmecillin 200g and I’m sorry it was for 6 days not 4

Oh lucky you! I’ve been diagnosed since December and have been plagued by them
That one seems to be the primary antibiotic prescribed for cystitis which is a UTI, it is a type of penicillin which can cause thrush as a side effect, just what you would need.
Cranberry is supposed to help with cystitis.
I think you probably need to have one of the antibiotics I mentioned.

That one seems to be the primary antibiotic prescribed for cystitis which is a UTI, it is a type of penicillin which can cause thrush as a side effect, just what you would need.
Cranberry is supposed to help with cystitis.
I think you probably need to have one of the antibiotics I mentioned.
Yes and I did have it after. I’m going to ring the Doctor on Monday- nothing I can do before then. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back