Uti

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After having numerous hypos for a while, over the past 4 days my BS's have been continously high (above 10 and up to early 20's). I have been struggling to get them down, upping both Novo and Levemir doses to no avail. It seems, however, that I have a possible UTI, doctor has given me antibiotics today. My sample was clear but he wanted to be cautious due to symptoms - he said that UTI's are very common in diabetics (I have never had one before) and that they can be extremely serious if not sorted asap. Hopefully my BS's will get back on track next week then!

After having numerous hypos for a while, over the past 4 days my BS's have been continously high (above 10 and up to early 20's). I have been struggling to get them down, upping both Novo and Levemir doses to no avail. It seems, however, that I have a possible UTI, doctor has given me antibiotics today. My sample was clear but he wanted to be cautious due to symptoms - he said that UTI's are very common in diabetics (I have never had one before) and that they can be extremely serious if not sorted asap. Hopefully my BS's will get back on track next week then!

Hi Newbs
Hope things get back to normal for you soon. I really sympathize with you, have been having a bout of high's after keep having hypos and it seems like none of my meds are doing anything at the mo.

hi

UTI is that what I think it is and usually dealt with with cranberry juice etc?

These abbreviations don't half make me head hurt from thinking sometimes!

Hope it clears up sharpish

Rossi 🙂

Sorry to hear about your UTI i must be honest and agree with Rossi I dont know to much about UTIS.

Sorry to hear about your suspected UTI. better to be safe than sorry though.

UTI stands for Urinary Tract Infection. Thankfully I've never had much trouble with them, but know other diabetics who do.

When our sugars run high for a long period the body starts to break down fat as a source of energy (since it doesn't have enough insulin to convert the glucose) and that causes ketones. Our bodies try to get rid of the ketones and other rubbish by flushing it out of us in our urine. The constant peeing and the by products in it is what causes the infections, thrush, etc. At least thats how it's always been explained to me. Just another nice symptom of being diabetic.

As Rossi says Cranberry juice is supposed to be the natural way to help cleanse our urine system, and anti-biotics to get rid of any infection thats already set in.

NiVZ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back