Ute, Navajos struggle with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
TOWAOC, Colo. (AP) — From Cortez to Shiprock, N.M., Durango to Monticello, Utah, native Americans sit in hospitals and health centers receiving kidney dialysis at a higher rate than non-Indians.

That is the uncomfortable truth of ignoring the diabetes epidemic the Ute Mountain Tribe is battling every day, reports Rita King, manager of the tribe's Diabetes Prevention Program. The Utes and Navajos recently hosted a two-day education conference on diabetes in Towaoc.

"It has been frustrating getting those at risk and those with the disease to change their ways," King says. "The disease is reversible, our people are aware of the problem, so we have done a good job there. But it is the action of individuals to take responsibility for their health, that is much tougher."

http://www.necn.com/11/28/13/Ute-Na...n.html?&apID=274f68c746eb409bb8a857897b129a87

Last edited:
That link doesn't appear to work any more. It doesn't go to the story for me.

Anyway, I was going to say that it is interesting why certain ethnic groups seem to suffer more than others.

That link doesn't appear to work any more. It doesn't go to the story for me.

Anyway, I was going to say that it is interesting why certain ethnic groups seem to suffer more than others.

Sorry Andy - should be working now 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back