Using upper buttocks for Infusion Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekromantik

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hello

so i usually use stomach or lower back near hips and started to get hard skin in lower back so switched to stomach but finding stomach mio advance insertions very bad as most of the time it hurts ALOT on insertion and when I remove it bleeds a lot too. I usually have to try 2-3 times before one goes in ok.
So I wanted to look at upper bottocks and upper thigh. My thighs have not much fat on the outer side and was painful.
On upper buttocks do people here that use that area get help from someone? As its hard doing myself.
Just put one in today over there and its not completely pain free as if I sit back on sofa then I get slight pain so it may not have gone in properly.
Any advice?

I’ve used upper buttocks a lot, depending on where you mean. For me, I find there’s an invisible strip that works best kind of between lower back and buttocks. I move along that on each side. I just insert the cannula myself. You get used to it. Yes, you can sometimes feel it when you lean back.

I also use my thighs. I find them very good - simple to use, and the cannula doesn’t get in the way. I pinch-up to insert the cannula because I’m very slim. I never use an inserter. I do it manually.

I’ve used upper buttocks a lot, depending on where you mean. For me, I find there’s an invisible strip that works best kind of between lower back and buttocks. I move along that on each side. I just insert the cannula myself. You get used to it. Yes, you can sometimes feel it when you lean back.

I also use my thighs. I find them very good - simple to use, and the cannula doesn’t get in the way. I pinch-up to insert the cannula because I’m very slim. I never use an inserter. I do it manually.
I used the area between the lower back and before the butt begins if you get me lol
I use Mio Advance so cant use manual. I find its not the best infusion set if you are putting it in awkward areas only really works if you can place it straight on and do not slant it which is easier on stomach or thighs as you not stretching your arm around.

where abouts on thighs do you use? I read people prefer steel ones on thigh rather then teflon.

I used steel in my bum and use Teflon in my thighs. For my thighs, I use similar areas to where you’d inject, ie the centre and outwards (towards the outer thigh). I go very roughly 2/3 down my thigh towards my knee as I find the lower bits of my thigh aren’t so fleshy. Obviously, it depends on your build. If you’re new to using your thighs, I’d probably go for the centre of your thigh to start with. I now use 90 degree Teflon cannulas but have previously used 45 degree ones that go in at an angle.

I used steel in my bum and use Teflon in my thighs. For my thighs, I use similar areas to where you’d inject, ie the centre and outwards (towards the outer thigh). I go very roughly 2/3 down my thigh towards my knee as I find the lower bits of my thigh aren’t so fleshy. Obviously, it depends on your build. If you’re new to using your thighs, I’d probably go for the centre of your thigh to start with. I now use 90 degree Teflon cannulas but have previously used 45 degree ones that go in at an angle.
thanks I tried outer thights so will try middle centre next time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back