Using topical steroid creams/ointments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The last few weeks I have been battling a flare up of eczema on my hands, I have had to give in and use my stronger steroid creams. Yesterday and today my numbers have been higher than usual, though not excessively so, could this be linked to my use of the creams? The food I have been eating is the same as usual and I have been drinking water and exercising normally. Any advice would be appreciated

Oral steroids can increase blood glucose and I suppose if the cream is absorbed through the skin it potentially could have the same effect. Check the product sheet in the box to see if it mentions it.

I have asked a few HCPs about some of the creams I am using and the effect on bg and the answer has always be "it shouldn't".
However, if you flair up is causing inflammation in your body THAT could effect bg 🙂
(I have psoriasis and not eczema but on hydrocortisone cream)

The last few weeks I have been battling a flare up of eczema on my hands, I have had to give in and use my stronger steroid creams. Yesterday and today my numbers have been higher than usual, though not excessively so, could this be linked to my use of the creams? The food I have been eating is the same as usual and I have been drinking water and exercising normally. Any advice would be appreciated
Applying steroid cream to your skin would not increase your blood sugars. It could be the pain from your eczema flare or residue of the cream on your fingers which is contaminating the test strip perhaps.

Hope your eczema settles down soon @Dylusional dandelion

I have a cousin who has battled it since childhood. Eczema can be a swine to live with :(

Also a sufferer and not noticed a change when given these creams, could it be change in temperature in recent days? Are you increasing water as temperature changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back