User error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
At work last night I reached for my phone to check my glucose levels before my meal, only to find that I'd left it at home .
After the initial shock, panic , what am I to do now subsided I remembered life before tech and did a fingerprick and worked out my basal in my head.
How quickly we get to rely on all this tech to make our lives easier.

Hello, I remember the “olden days?” (& pee testing before “that.”) “phone alone” can be a cow. Not judging. I would be glad I still had a meter.
Any tech is as good as the battery life or if in your life.

How quickly we get to rely on all this tech to make our lives easier.

I do worry slightly for youngsters and newbies who go pretty much straight onto sensor augmented pump therapy, and never have to get used to ‘flying manual’.

I wouldn’t want to force them to do a long stretch of sub-optimal management just to pick up those skills, but I’m happy I could wing it in an emergency if my pump failed with just a hypodermic to draw up remaining insulin from the reservoir.

Sorry if I’m being thick but why does not having your phone make it difficult to take your basal? Is your basal not a set dose that wouldn’t change every day?

Sorry if I’m being thick but why does not having your phone make it difficult to take your basal? Is your basal not a set dose that wouldn’t change every day?
Basal can change day to day. (Work wise.) It also depends on what bolus could be happening on board at the same time?

I read it as bolus (without knowing BG as phone was used for CGM reading). I didn’t notice it said basal!

Basal can change day to day. (Work wise.) It also depends on what bolus could be happening on board at the same time?
How would you adjust your basal based on bolus on board? I’ve never heard of this so not sure how to do it, I just take the same amount of Lantus without thinking about my apidra. I know basal might be different for eg work and non work days but your phone wouldn’t decide the dose.

Sorry for any confusion, it was my bolus for my meal that I had to calculate , should re read what I am typing before posting .

Thanks for clarifying @Martin62 🙂

Easy to get them muddled!

I do worry slightly for youngsters and newbies who go pretty much straight onto sensor augmented pump therapy, and never have to get used to ‘flying manual’.

I wouldn’t want to force them to do a long stretch of sub-optimal management just to pick up those skills, but I’m happy I could wing it in an emergency if my pump failed with just a hypodermic to draw up remaining insulin from the reservoir.
I always thought I could do that too - so I tried it once with my pump but the needle of the syringe (10mm then) wasn't long enough to reach the insulin!

Remember life all to well before tech, but thank goodness it arrived & made our lives so much easier in managing conditions like diabetes.

Used my phone for Libre app & use it now for Dexcom so it's never that far away from me.

I always thought I could do that too - so I tried it once with my pump but the needle of the syringe (10mm then) wasn't long enough to reach the insulin!
Ah you need to have kept some Harpoons like me :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back