Uruguay squad's caramel spread confiscated in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Brazilian officials say they confiscated 39kg (86lb) of caramel spread from Uruguay's football team as it arrived in Brazil for the World Cup.

The spread, called dulce de leche, is extremely popular in Uruguay but the Brazilian authorities said that as it was made with milk, it needed sanitary documentation which was lacking.

Some fans are already blaming Uruguay's shock 3-1 defeat to Costa Rica on the lack of dulce de leche.

Uruguay will play England on Thursday.

The dulce de leche was seized from the team after it landed at Confins airport near their training camp in Sete Lagoas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-27889343

I wonder how many carbs in that? 😱

I don't know how many carbs, but it's luscious, only tried it the once but I ate it by the spoonful. It occupies the same territory as Nutella for me, namely I can't control myself 😱

You don't need any other ingredients - just the tin of condensed milk!

Put the tin (unopened) into a large saucepan, cover COMPLETELY with boiling water and simmer for 2 hours.
Drain and then allow to cool right down before opening the tin. Inside you will find the yummiest caramel ever :D :D :D

*NB* this is safe as long as you make sure that the tin is completely submerged all the time, then the tin won't explode. So keep a close eye on it and top up the water level when necessary. And of course don't try to open the tin until it has cooled down to room temperature!

You don't need any other ingredients - just the tin of condensed milk!

Put the tin (unopened) into a large saucepan, cover COMPLETELY with boiling water and simmer for 2 hours.
Drain and then allow to cool right down before opening the tin. Inside you will find the yummiest caramel ever :D :D :D

*NB* this is safe as long as you make sure that the tin is completely submerged all the time, then the tin won't explode. So keep a close eye on it and top up the water level when necessary. And of course don't try to open the tin until it has cooled down to room temperature!

I did find one site where they cooked it in a slow cooker, without the tin. CostaRicans apparently make it with coconut milk, which should mean it is lower in carbs (no lactose).
Or make your own condensed milk see: http://www.livestrong.com/article/521214-how-to-make-vegan-sugar-free-sweetened-condensed-milk/

I used to make a stonking Banoffee pie using that method for the caramel. Ah, those were the days.

Ooh yum, banoffee pie, now you're talking! That's what I use the caramel for too!

Actually you can get tinned caramel made by the same people that make the condensed milk. My mother in law tried it and said it isn't as nice though :(

So it's back to the saucepan for me!

Now I have condensed milk and the knowledge and equipment to make it AND my mind thinks that a bit of gooey caramel would be delightful in my porridge....the torment 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back