urgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayC

My husband is back from GP. The doctor said his fasting BG level is 6.0. This is borderline so he needs further test...

He had TIA/mini stroke in Apr. Just a week later I got dx with diabetes. Now the doctor says he is pre-diabetic.

Probably losing weight will help him not to become fully(?) diabetic. However, he's always exhausted (this is normal after TIA) and exercise is not an option at the moment. He is already on low fat, low salt diet. I don't want to say to him 'You should eat less!'

His BMI is 27, he's slightly overweight, but certainly not obese. Then again, my BMI was 23.7 at the time of dx, so it happens.

I don't know how long this health scare continues. (Well, DM is for life, I know) Sometimes I feel I just can't take it anymore.

Sorry to hear this Kay :( I'm a little surprised though that 6.0 is considered borderline - thought it would need to be much closer to 7. Whatever happens though, the good thing is that he is being tested and hopefully this will lead to appropriate treatment and an improvement in his health and general well-being. As you may gather from reading a lot of the posts here, people often feel much better and healthier after being diagnosed 🙂

What a terrible time your having Kayc it cant be nice all this stress as well wont be helping I am quite surprised that 6.0 is considered borderline mind you , I cant say much to help but hope your husbands tests come back well with the right result if you get what im saying.You know you will always have this place to let off steam and we wont ever judge we are here to listen in the good and bad times hun

Chin up and keep strong xxx

I can't say much to help, but this is the place to come if advice or help is needed. We have various experiences, and as individuals very different ways of doing things. In all of this something may well click and work for you.

Visit as often as you can, ask as many questions as you want, and we will help if we can.

Thank you Alan,

I'm a little surprised though that 6.0 is considered borderline - thought it would need to be much closer to 7.

That's what I thought. I've read somewhere that 3.6 to 6.0 should be considered as 'normal'. Maybe his GP is being caucious because my husband's dad was diabetic, too.
My husband's attitude is, like, 'Whatever happens, happens'. I don't know if he's being laid back or just resigned.🙂

Hi Steffie
Thank you for kind words, much appreciated.
I can keep strong front normally, but sometimes feel weak and come back here to moan...
I've read about your dad in other thread, it must be worrying, I hope your dad is OK, too.🙂

Thanks Caroline,
I found this forum very welcoming. I don't post much but I'm always looking at threads and have learnt a lot!🙂

Hi Steffie
Thank you for kind words, much appreciated.
I can keep strong front normally, but sometimes feel weak and come back here to moan...
I've read about your dad in other thread, it must be worrying, I hope your dad is OK, too.🙂

Thanks KayC i will take him at face value when he says he will go to the doctors.If he does i will be over the moon and if he dont well i cant think about that right now x

Moan anytime you want swear sometimes just make sure northerner or none of the mods are watching though.😉

My husband is back from GP. The doctor said his fasting BG level is 6.0. This is borderline so he needs further test...

He had TIA/mini stroke in Apr. Just a week later I got dx with diabetes. Now the doctor says he is pre-diabetic.

Probably losing weight will help him not to become fully(?) diabetic. However, he's always exhausted (this is normal after TIA) and exercise is not an option at the moment. He is already on low fat, low salt diet. I don't want to say to him 'You should eat less!'

His BMI is 27, he's slightly overweight, but certainly not obese. Then again, my BMI was 23.7 at the time of dx, so it happens.

I don't know how long this health scare continues. (Well, DM is for life, I know) Sometimes I feel I just can't take it anymore.
Dear KayC So sorry to hear of your problems. I hope things get better soon.
lots of good wishes, Sheena

Hi KayC, as your husband is already on a low fat / low salt diet, he probably won't increase his weight / BMI, and may even decrease it slightly, even without exercise. Then, when his energy begins to increase, he will be able to increase his activity. In the meantime, I reckon 1 issue (TIA / low fat, low salt diet) is enough for you both, and I suspect the GP would agree, too, but didn't consider the specific situation of your husband. Normal advice for a slightly overweight person with impaired glucose tolerance (most likely explanation for fasting blood glucose of 6.0) would be to lose weight and increase activity.

Thanks you Sheena and Copepod,
I've just re-read the whole thread and I think I was being a little too negative about the situation.😱 Well, as my husband says, whatever happens happens...🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back