Urgent message for everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had to buy a new p/c

My old one became infected with Trojan worms!!! and died!!!

Please make sure that all your anti virus software is up to date. I was a horrible feeling to see everything drop from the screen.

Spent today trying to have it fixed - but was told that is could cost up to ?100 to strip and rebuild with no guarantee of 100% success. So, as my p/c was 8 years old I thought - what the heck, just buy a new one. I feel like the new kid on the block, lots of new programs and gizmos, I doubt I will get any sleep tonight.

Had dreadful withdrawal systems last night when I couldn't log on and hear how you were all doing out there - am now back in the land of the living, or at least the diabetic clan

Take care

Hazel

Bad luck Hazel. :(

I use NOD32 as an antivirus and I've got a hardware router so that's my firewall. I also use Spybot, Spywareblaster and Malwarebytes' Anti-malware programs. All have free versions so I really recommend them.

Don't know what antivirus you have on your spanking new PC but if its Norton please get rid of it. Norton is awful. Try NOD32 or Kaspersky if you can afford to pay for one. Or if not try Avast for a free antivirus. 🙂

I hope the links work for you. Let me know if they don't and I'll post them again. With a few few programs you can make a real difference to the online safety of your PC.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Hazel. I really hate the mentality behind viruses (and spam - I get 7000 totally useless spams a month). I used to use Norton, but agree with Marc - not a good choice. I now use AVG which is free and was recommended to me by many other people.

Know what you mean about the withdrawal symptoms too - I had problems on my phone line last week and kept losing connection - drove me mad!😱

oh dear - Norton 360 (3.0) came with the p/c

I think I will download the free versions you mentioned - cos having spent the best part of ?500, I am so broke.

Thanks though for the recommendations - something I will keep in mind.

Cheers

Hazel

Oh and when you say the PC died, do you mean from a software or hardware perspective?

If it was a software perspective then I would have though a full and proper format of the hard disk then reinstalling Windows would be OK.

hope u get it sorted, avg is ok but avast is the best for me

I have had to buy a new p/c

My old one became infected with Trojan worms!!! and died!!!

Please make sure that all your anti virus software is up to date. I was a horrible feeling to see everything drop from the screen.

Hazel

I mainly use a Mac, so it's not a problem. When I have to use a PC (for work) I've also had terrible problems with Norton, so thanks all, for the pointers to free anti-virus stuff. At the moment I got a free McAfee download from my bank, although I do all that sort of stuff from my Mac - much more secure, faster, nicer, and Stephen Fry has loads of them so they must be good. When I can afford the new operating system, I'll ditch the PC altogether. Sorry, to go on, I just hate Microsoft and PC's!

Anyhow, I did red about a new virus, which mainly infiltrates websites, but when you log on to said websites, will infect your computer.😱

I mainly use a Mac, so it's not a problem. When I have to use a PC (for work) I've also had terrible problems with Norton, so thanks all, for the pointers to free anti-virus stuff. At the moment I got a free McAfee download from my bank, although I do all that sort of stuff from my Mac - much more secure, faster, nicer, and Stephen Fry has loads of them so they must be good. When I can afford the new operating system, I'll ditch the PC altogether. Sorry, to go on, I just hate Microsoft and PC's!

Anyhow, I did red about a new virus, which mainly infiltrates websites, but when you log on to said websites, will infect your computer.😱

One of the reasons I dislike Microsoft so much is that, even with their vast wealth as a company, they still put out substandard software that is full of holes both in security and operation. Most of my 28 years in IT has been on (completely virus-free) mainframes, with virtually no 'downtime'. I often have to reboot my pc every day to clear up memory leaks clogging up the system. I remember when Windows 95 was launched - it had over 20,000 known bugs in it! 😱

The best free anti-virus software is avast! I use it since my brand new virus got infected really badly and so far so good.

My friend has been using avast and a free firewall called COMODO for years and has never had any viruses 🙂

The best free anti-virus software is avast! I use it since my brand new virus got infected really badly and so far so good.

My friend has been using avast and a free firewall called COMODO for years and has never had any viruses 🙂
Avast and Comodo is a very nice combo of antivirus and firewall. 🙂

One of the reasons I dislike Microsoft so much is that, even with their vast wealth as a company, they still put out substandard software that is full of holes both in security and operation. Most of my 28 years in IT has been on (completely virus-free) mainframes, with virtually no 'downtime'. I often have to reboot my pc every day to clear up memory leaks clogging up the system. I remember when Windows 95 was launched - it had over 20,000 known bugs in it! 😱

Hasn't Vista been even worse? I agree about the substandard software and I believe you couldn't 'transfer' your files and programmes when they upgraded their operating systems. Oh, don't get me started! 'Nuff to say, I love my Mac!

I have to say my pc has also been struck down this week with a horrible Trojan (win32/cryptor). It stopped Explorer from working, wouldnt let me do system restore and took me about 6 hours to even get past the dreaded blue screen! In addition, it also wouldnt run any anti virus programmes, and even stopped me visiting any sites to download any more! (kept sending me to ebay!!!) This is evidently a real nasty...and yes, I did have Macafee updated, and it still got me! Managed to eventually download avg and avast and am continually running scans..at last Im online, but still cant do system restore, but last scan seemed clear. (famous last words!)

Hope you manage to sort it - sounds pretty pervasive and nasty...

I have a Mac Book Pro - never had a problem (never owned a PC). Its true that Macs are a bit more expensive, but they are vert reliable.

Ceara

I have a Mac Book Pro - never had a problem (never owned a PC). Its true that Macs are a bit more expensive, but they are vert reliable.

Ceara

Definitely agree, and when you take away the cost of having to get your PC repaired, re-programmed, update security software, downtime and time spent sorting out problems, etc. etc. etc. I think in the long run, its probably cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back