Urgent advice needed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Okay, so got up this morning and everything was fine, all of a sudden my vision in one eye went funny, now it feels like im looking through cotton wool. Should I call doctors? Opticians ? Family are saying go to a&e is this too drastic ?

Emma I’m sorry to hear this. Yes I would get it checked urgently.
Your hospital should have an eye casualty department. Phone them and they should say if you can go there or need a referral. Opticians can check you and do an immediate referral to eye casualty if necessary. They have better eye equipment than a GP.
Your optician should be able to give you an urgent appointment if you phone them explaining what has happened and that you’re diabetic.
Good luck.

If you are worried but not sure if this is an A&E issue (I know our hospital A&E are horrendously busy), I would call 111 and ask for their advice. It is what they are there for.

Agree with the above, if you google your local hospital eye department and they have an emergency line (which will triage you and see you immediately if necessary, or give you an appointment) then phone it, if you can’t find a number for them, then A and E it is. Opticians are good, but if you can bypass them, it’ll be quicker, in case it’s anything that needs really prompt attention.

Thanks guys, I’ve phoned my options and they filled out emergency triage paperwork. They are going to call me back to advise what to do. Will let you know. Thanks again xx

Glad to hear that you were able to access some initial support.

Really hope all goes well, keep us posted.

Panic over, eyes all good had lots of test. Apparently I have no tears which I said was strange as I schedule a good cry in most days lol. So I have drops. Thanks for your help guys, I am a silly sausage xx

So pleased it is nothing serious. Hope the drops help.

Panic over, eyes all good had lots of test. Apparently I have no tears which I said was strange as I schedule a good cry in most days lol. So I have drops. Thanks for your help guys, I am a silly sausage xx
No way are you a silly sausage, anything involving eyes is best checked out pronto.
I had a panic as I could see what seemed to be spiders descending onto me and I hate spiders but it turned out to be floaters and as it happened nothing to worry about. It seems your brain adjusts to them being there after a while and they can just disappear as quickly as they come.

Ahh thanks for that. My sight has returned back to normal in that eye now but yesterday morning i was so stressed because of how quick it came on. I too have a little floater had it for years, it’s like a squiggle but I hardly see it anymore. I also have a history of aura migraines but they tend to make me feel like I’m looking through a kaleidoscope but I don’t have those much these days thank goodness x

This 'dry eye' thing is weird. I have it and just after I get into bed - my eyes start watering like crazy, so I have to dry my eyes as if I were crying. Bats!

No, you’re very sensible. Far better to be checked than to just leave things 🙂

Well i did not realise this! I’m practising my fluttering as we speak 😉

In the past year I've developed dry eyes and a dry mouth. I put it down to autonomic nerve damage which seem to fit with some other symptoms I was having. That may not be the case and it may just be down to age and too much screen time but it has galvanised me into much tighter control which I guess can only be a good thing...aside from the hypos of course.
I was prescribed "synthetic saliva". Imagine getting that out of your pocket on a first date.

Attachments

• WIN_20211111_16_28_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211111_16_28_53_Pro.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back