upset tum and sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Simple question - advice please.

I seem to have picked up a tummy upset (very) and sickness (last night - has stopped now) bug. I tested this morning and it's 7.9 so I'm not taking any of my meds for one day to get it all out of my system.

I'm not eating and I'm only drinking water.

Anything else I can do apart from wait for it to pass now ? Thanks.

Simple question - advice please.

I seem to have picked up a tummy upset (very) and sickness (last night - has stopped now) bug. I tested this morning and it's 7.9 so I'm not taking any of my meds for one day to get it all out of my system.

I'm not eating and I'm only drinking water.

Anything else I can do apart from wait for it to pass now ? Thanks.

Just take it easy and fill up a hot water bottle and relax.x Hope you get well soon

Sorry to hear you are poorly Faith :( It might be worth calling your doctor or nurse to see if it's OK to stop the meds. I can't remember what you are on - I know you are not on insulin yet, but I know for us insulin users we have to keep taking it, possibly increasing it, during illness. Might be the same for some of your meds.

Hope it passes quickly! Keep an eye on your levels. Not wanting to scare you, but when I was diagnosed with DKA it was a tummy bug/virus that put paid to my pancreas and my levels started shooting up.

bless you,Hope you feel better, Watch some good films on tv that will take your mind off it 🙂

My o/h just got over this he couldnt even keep juice down, was staying well away from him. He missed the first scan of our baby too :(

Take care xx

I hope you feel better soon.

The advice I was given was to drink plenty of water. If you can manage a light meal (soup or toast or a boiled egg or som fruit) try and eat to take your meds.

If it goes on for more than 24 hours take medical advice, see your doctor or nurse or phone up NHS direct.

At the moment I am having a bit of a problem as I came off antibiotics, have been feeling so hungry I could eat for England and then within an hour of eating my tummy thinks my bottom likes the toilet. I'm drinking plenty of water. There seem to be loads of bugs going round, I hope no one else gets it.

Thank you all for your answers. I'm feeling a bit better now, upset tum has slowed down but is still unpredictable ! I've had a bit of toast but don't feel like anything else at present.

I'm hoping for a good night's sleep (without any more "accidents") - I've not felt this groggy for a long time.

Best wishes to you all.

How are you feeling this morning? I hope you are better.

When I have an upset tummy, I tend to be a bit belt and braces incase of an accident in the night. I sleep on a towel and use a tena lady max or a tena lady night time. They have save having to change the whole bed a couple of times recently!

Good morning Caroline, I thought of the towel precaution last night (good thing I did !). I was up at 1.15 with more upsets and then slept until 7 when, again, more tummy upset.

I tested this morning, having had a only slice of dry toast yesterday midday(how horrid does that taste !) and I'm at 5.3 so no worries there.

However, as it just won't slow down and I'm just loosing liquid now (sorry, too much info) I rang the Dr and one of the duty drs rang me back almost immediately (great surgery we've got and I'm thankful for it). He asked all sorts of questions as you would expect and said I'm doing all the right things but is leaving me a prescription for the salt replacing crystals (diolite ?) which he says may put my diabetic levels up but I need the replacement salts as I don't want to get dehydrated. Luckily we only live about 100 yards from the surgery so my husband can walk down there to collect the prescription and get the stuff from the local chemists quite soon.

I mentioned Immodiam but said I don't like to take that as it seals any bugs inside me and he agreed it's not a good idea. I feel better in myself but very light-headed and empty - no fever or anything so that's good.

Thank you for helping look after me, Hugs

Glad to hear you are getting such good support from your doctor Faith, and also good news that your levels are good. Hope you are feeling much better soon! 🙂

Dont forget that after a tummy bug etc your absorption of food will be much different for a couple of weeks afterwards. Not sure what you can do as you dont take insulin - but insulin users would need to reduce insulin and inject after eating or will suffer a lot of hypos etc..Perhaps you could reduce your medication? You might be absolutely fine - but just thought I would mention it in case things change. Hope your feeling better soon.🙂Bev

Dont forget that after a tummy bug etc your absorption of food will be much different for a couple of weeks afterwards. Not sure what you can do as you dont take insulin - but insulin users would need to reduce insulin and inject after eating or will suffer a lot of hypos etc..Perhaps you could reduce your medication? You might be absolutely fine - but just thought I would mention it in case things change. Hope your feeling better soon.🙂Bev

Thank you for mentioning that, Bev, I'll keep a watch on things and bear what you say regarding taking my meds. Thanks again for thinking of it for me. I seem brain-dead at the moment !

Glad the docotrs surgery was so helpful. Agree imodium is not for everyone.

When my big boy was little and had a tummy bug, the doctor gave him diuralite (not sure of spelling). They taste awfull, but to keep the dehydration nasties away. The contain slats, sugars and elctrolytes, which are all the things you need after loosing so much fluid.

Because I had a couple of courses of anti biotics and a tummy upset, I am now taking actimel for a few days. Again they don't work for everyone, but may be worth thinking about.

Glad to hear you are getting such good support from your doctor Faith, and also good news that your levels are good. Hope you are feeling much better soon! 🙂

Thanks as always for your input, Northie. Yes, I am lucky with my surgery aren't I ? What I particularly like is that they treat you as if you can understand what they are saying to you and not that you are a moran or something......which I have found at some surgeries I've had in the past.

Hubby has gone to get the prescription and is also getting some fresh fish as I'm sure I'll be able to take to that tonight (Oh please, let me feel like it soon, God....I'll be good, honest.!)

.........Because I had a couple of courses of anti biotics and a tummy upset, I am now taking actimel for a few days. Again they don't work for everyone, but may be worth thinking about.

Thank you for that, and when I've got my tummy back again I'll try Actimel - just hope it calms down soon. Funny how such a simple thing can really make you feel awful isn't it ?:(

bless you,Hope you feel better, Watch some good films on tv that will take your mind off it 🙂

My o/h just got over this he couldnt even keep juice down, was staying well away from him. He missed the first scan of our baby too :(

Take care xx

I'm in good company then !! Thanks for your good wishes. (and Stef's too).

Hi Faith, hope you are feeling better soon. I have had the tummy bug quite a few times and know how unpleasent/upsetting it can be. I am glad your gp is on the ball and very supportive xxx

Hi Faith, hope you are feeling better soon. I have had the tummy bug quite a few times and know how unpleasent/upsetting it can be. I am glad your gp is on the ball and very supportive xxx

Thanks for your message Carol. I've managed to keep down some scrambled egg on toast but feel weak as a kitten. Levels are OK though - onwards & upwards as one poster on here used to say eh ?

Oh dear- it's got far worse again so I've called the same Dr who now said to take Immodium. I have taken the 2 "at first" then one after each upset tum - and in 2 hours I've taken the 4 which I'm allowed in 24 hours.

Still no fever or tummy pains but I think if it goes on I shall have to call the Dr out tonight or ring NHS direct. I'm getting very sore and worried now. Levels still OK - but this can't go on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back