Updated info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitchy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is probably really obvious to everyone already, but it's worth periodically asking your diabetes team for up to date copies of any reference material you use! 😱

The other day at antenatal clinic I was speaking to the dietician & she noticed my dogeared copy of the DAFNE carb counting booklet...turns out it's 4 editions out of date! Although most things haven't changed in terms of carb values, the latest edition is more useful as it has a conversion chart in the front (weights & measures) and for each item the portion size, weight of that portion & CP value. My old copy only had item (sometimes with qty) and CP value, so for instance you'd have (chosen at random) Orange, "average", 1CP. The new book has Orange (without skin), 1 medium, 160g, 1 1/2 CP. So at least you can get a more accurate feel for portion size, hurrah! No more guessing how big "average" or "big" is!

Just thought I'd spread the word in case anyone else out there is as daft as me...😱 No point not using the best tools, is there?!

You make a good point Twitchy cheers it's always good to double check all our ref books etc etc are in date x

It's always worth checking how up to date reference books are. It's also worth checking out what's on line and what's in the local library too as it can be quite expensive replacing books every year. Thanks for the reminder, I have a long weekend comming up soon so will go through my books.

Thanks for posting this , Im sure a few members will have books from a while ago which will be out of date !!
I have a New copy of The Collins Gem Carb Counter , an excellent book for anyone wanting to know carb values . 🙂

Thanks for posting this , Im sure a few members will have books from a while ago which will be out of date !!
I have a New copy of The Collins Gem Carb Counter , an excellent book for anyone wanting to know carb values . 🙂

I have a copy on my desk at work along with a set of scales, everyone else comes along and usese them and leave me a piece of fruit in return...

I have a copy on my desk at work along with a set of scales, everyone else comes along and usese them and leave me a piece of fruit in return...

Haha wow you must have a full fruit bowl then 🙂🙂 I work from home so no one comes past my desk only the dog lol :D

Haha wow you must have a full fruit bowl then 🙂🙂 I work from home so no one comes past my desk only the dog lol :D

I always have enough for at least a couple of pieces for lunch and one piece for breakfast. In my office there is one serious dieter and several who have to watch how much they eat of certain foods, the book and the scales help us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back