Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone
Sorry I have not been on the forum for quite a while. I have been on a long journey with my breast cancer, hypothyroidism and T2 Diabetes. I have just been invited for my annual review. Last year in about December I was put on SGLT2 5mg per day as I had tried everything and my blood glucose was refusing to be controlled, 13+ and rising, so not good. I cannot tolerate Metformin, it gives me terrible stomach cramps, plus d&v. I am very please to report that my BG seems to have settled. It is not brilliant somewhere between 6.00 and 8.00 throughout the day, but I am happier with that. I am still on my low carb diet and now weight 60 kg which is about 5 kg lighter than I was. I have not had any of the side effects although I do not know my current cholesterol level. To be honest after having the cancer diagnosis I just enjoy each day as it comes and I am grateful to feel well. I do not like the gym but I do like a long walk with my dogs and a few exercises. I will always be grateful to this forum and the lovely helpful people on it. I got no advice when I was first diagnosed except that it would not be long before I was on insulin and that diabetes is progressive and has severe complications. The doctor said that diet and exercise and low carbohydrate diets did not work and that my health was in danger because I would not take medication. OK so I have the SGLT2 now but I had over 12 years without drugs. I had a very severe reaction to chemotherapy and that wrecked my BG control. I hope all of you are managing your life with this disorder and most importantly enjoying every day. 🙂

So very pleased and relieved to hear that you have found a treatment plan which is working for you now and equally importantly, not disagreeing with your body. Hope you are winning the fight with the big C too. Good to read that you are getting out and walking with the dogs as that is such wonderful therapy.

Do eat more fat if you need to stop the weight loss. My cholesterol has reduced on a low carb diet despite eating "LOTS" of saturated fat, like real double cream in my coffee and lots of nice cheese and creamy Greek yoghurt plus lots of olives and nuts and cook my veg with a knob of butter or a dollop of cream cheese. These things all give me extra calories without the impact on BG levels.... and they taste good.

Thank you Rebrascora for your suggestions. I do quite a few of them already, but will add the others. I am 165cm so I do not need to loose any more weight. I have never been overweight. Hope you are doing well and enjoying life. Everywhere is so beautiful now with the Spring. Take care

@happydog it might be of some reassurance that, when I was testing my BG I got top end of normal Hba1c results with numbers between 6 and 8 for before and after meals.
For me a low carb diet and going along with the extra energy allowing me to be more active was all that I needed - so I would not agree with your GP's assessment of what doesn't work being the case, not for everyone - but you've been through far more challenges in recent years than I have experienced in my entire lifetime.
My grandmother's icecream, lots of eggs and cream involved, used to be prescribed by the local doctor for 'children who do not thrive' - maybe look up 'real ice cream' and indulge from time to time. Devices which make icecream are not all that expensive if you get the ones which have containers to go in the freezer.

Thank you Drummer that ice cream sounds good. When I got the breast cancer diagnosis my reaction was "I have tried so hard with T2 and now this is going to get me". I soon realised that something will get me one day and I might as well enjoy life. I will continue to try my hardest with the diabetes but it no longer is my main problem. Hope you continue to do well, take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back