Update from hospital

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Firstly, thanks to everyone who wished me well.

Just had my insulin training session, oh so simple! They have put me initially on 10 units of Lantus in the evening along with 2 x Metformin slow release also in the evening.

I have to go back in 2 weeks, for 'more training' (?), and possibly be told to take an other 10 units of Lantus in the morning.

Does this regime mean anything to other insulin users? The special nurse shocked me when she said not to be surprised if my readings go up before they settle. UP, they are in the 20s already. We shall have to see.

So, she gave me more than enought to get me started, and I am so impressed by the gizmo for collecting used needles, it is like a small stapler.

So, bye for now
Hazel

this insulin regieme sounds very typical for a type 2 starting on insulin, usually they will try basal insulin first.

Hopefuly they gave you info regarding DVLA, driving etc.

good luck for this evening injection. I know that when I learnt in the nurses office it seemed very straightforward- which is is/was, just wasn't prepared for it to be mentally hard to do for the first time.

Thanks for letting us know what happened.

The "gizmo ... like a small stapler" is probably a B-D Safe Clip, a great little bit of kit.

It's good that your nurse gave you some guidance about what to expect regarding blood sugar levels - it's the beginning of a process to get better blood sugar control, which won't happen overnight, but it will happen, eventually. You may require 2 daily injections of Lantus - if that happens, it's likely that both will be lower than your single daily dose. If you need bolus insulin as well, with meals, then that will be introduced only if and when needed.

Hope the next few weeks go well.

Good to hear things went so well for you, Hazel. Good luck with the next few weeks when I'm told injecting gets "like brushing your teeth" - oh Yeah ? I'm frightened of what's ahead of me when the Consultant says I've got to go onto insulin but your own experience gives me hope that I shan't be whimpering in the corner like I think I shall !:)

Hi Vince
I haven't heard the comparison of insulin injections with teeth brushing before - but actually, I'd say it's easier - especially when camping, brushing teeth with a mug of water, spitting into a hedge, with only a head torch for illumination, compared to a quick lift your top and inject your tummy. If you don't camp, it's still easier! But it does have to be fitted in around eating, so I guess it's a valid comparison.
Personally, I found the packs / carrying cases for insulin pens aren't very convenient, too big, but with inadequate capacity - so I "designed" my own - a cheap pencil case, with plenty of space for spare needles, cartridges, plaster in case an injection site bleeds and you want to protect a white shirt etc. That fits discretely whatever I am carrying, from usual daysack to work briefcase or borrowed handbag or cargo pockets of trousers etc. Anyway, worth seeing what kit you need, then deciding how to carry it.

Hi Hazel
Pleased to hear your update. Sounds as if you have good DN support.

When Alex was 1st diagnosed i told him to treat it like he was brushing his teeth twice! I know it sounds silly - but i wanted him to feel he could do it just as quickly and without fuss - i am not sure if it helped him but he has never really made a fuss and just gets on with it - i dont think it should take up too much of your time. Bev

I thought tooth-brushing was supposed to take at least 1 minute? Injecting is much quicker! And no need for a tap and a sink (or alternatives when camping) to inject. But, yes, both are routine and essential.

As mentioned in my post above, I was told it was just like brushing your teeth from which I took it to mean it becomes second nature which you all seem to confirm.

Hope you are getting on OK Hazel with this new venture of yours,,,,,Kind regards,

As mentioned in my post above, I was told it was just like brushing your teeth from which I took it to mean it becomes second nature which you all seem to confirm.

Hope you are getting on OK Hazel with this new venture of yours,,,,,Kind regards,

It is, but for goodness sake don't get the two mixed up!:D

'You'll find it's like brushing your teeth',
My wonderful DSN said,
'Except that you'll do it four times a day,
And don't stick your pen in your head!'

Last edited:
OK Northerner, I deserved that ! .....:eek: but you DO make me laugh........hugs!

Hi Hazel,
Good luck with the injections. Had my first check up for my Byetta use. Everything went well but last week i just couldnt stop eating. I dont know what was wrong and consequently I had higher sugar readings. I am worrying a bit incase this means the injections arent working cause they are supposed to surpress your appitite.
Oh well on we go with this daily battle !
Debs x

Back