Up date on hubby high blood glucose levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just to let people know my hubby who has a brain tumour as well as diabetes has been told nothing more can be done for him so it’s only time now. He’s in dexamethersone and his levels are going high now after cereal in morning 25 by lunch then going to 30+ at bed time just waiting for a nurse to get back to me . He’s on 60 units if norvo mix 30 morning 10 units of rapid norvomix linch and 14 units norvo mix 30 tea time .just hope they get back to me soon

Oh Gosh! I am so sorry! I was really hoping this was going to be a good news update.
Unfortunately the steroids will be pushing his levels up despite the insulin. Cereal is very high carb so likely to push levels up too but in your husband's situation I think it is important to eat whatever he fancies and can enjoy, so if that is cereal then just don't worry about it. I hope the nurse is able to help you to balance things a little better but I think in the circumstances, his quality of life should be more important than thinking about dietary restrictions or even worrying about high BG levels. I think it is a case of doing the best that you can in very difficult circumstances.

It seems rather trivial but sending you both virtual (((HUGS)))

Oh Gosh! I am so sorry! I was really hoping this was going to be a good news update.
Unfortunately the steroids will be pushing his levels up despite the insulin. Cereal is very high carb so likely to push levels up too but in your husband's situation I think it is important to eat whatever he fancies and can enjoy, so if that is cereal then just don't worry about it. I hope the nurse is able to help you to balance things a little better but I think in the circumstances, his quality of life should be more important than thinking about dietary restrictions or even worrying about high BG levels. I think it is a case of doing the best that you can in very difficult circumstances.

Thankyou we’ve only just found out the news 2 weeks ago so it’s still sinking in .Hes only on the dexamethersone for 2 weeks so maybe the blood levels don’t matter they are down in the morning to more manageable levels of between 9 and 16 . The diabetic nurse has told me to let him eat what he wants as he’s only weighs about 8 stone . But I don’t like it when the glucose levels say hi on his testing meter before bed time .hope when nurse gets in touch she can help

Thankyou we’ve only just found out the news 2 weeks ago so it’s still sinking in .Hes only on the dexamethersone for 2 weeks so maybe the blood levels don’t matter they are down in the morning to more manageable levels of between 9 and 16 . The diabetic nurse has told me to let him eat what he wants as he’s only weighs about 8 stone . But I don’t like it when the glucose levels say hi on his testing meter before bed time .hope when nurse gets in touch she can help

Nurse just got back to name upped the morning to 62 the 12 lunch and 14 tea to see if it helps then phone call on Monday to check in see what things are doing

So pleased you have had further input and authorization to increase insulin doses. Hope those changes are effective.

Sorry to hear your update @Ibby Sending you and your husband my very best wishes.

I hope he can stay as comfortable as possible and have a good quality of life. Thinking of you both. Life can be cruel. XX

Just to let people know my hubby who has a brain tumour as well as diabetes has been told nothing more can be done for him so it’s only time now. He’s in dexamethersone and his levels are going high now after cereal in morning 25 by lunch then going to 30+ at bed time just waiting for a nurse to get back to me . He’s on 60 units if norvo mix 30 morning 10 units of rapid norvomix linch and 14 units norvo mix 30 tea time .just hope they get back to me soon
Really sorry to read your news. Thinking of you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back